Setting in a post fix next to a concrete post for a garden gate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've replaced most of my garden fence with concrete posts + concrete gravel boards - I'm coming to the end of this now, and am concerned about bolting a garden fence to the concrete post incase the slamming of the gate starts to cause the concrete post to crack over time.

I've been thinking about either setting in a wooden post next to the concrete post at the same time, to fix the gate to (latch side - the hinge side will be attached to my house). Or, better still... to save hassle in the future when the wood rots - what's everyone's opinions on using a concreted in fence support, something like this image:

shopping

My thoughts, when the post rots, i'll be able to change just the post rather than faffing drilling concrete out to then re-concrete another wooden post in...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'd just bolt everything to concrete post. Use bolt resin if you have to

Thanks, have't heard of bolt resin... I'll check it out - I'd have to drill the post though, as there's no holes in the posts I have. Considering how brittle they appear to be, I'm concerned about breaking the post..

Have you drilled a post before? no hammer action, I'd guess?

Can you fit a concrete spur? They will not rot and you can bolt a wooden post to them, raised above ground level.

The metal sockets do not give much lateral support, and they rust badly.

With gate posts, if you make them a bit tall and bolt a lintel across the tops, it holds them upright and prevents sagging or wobbling.

Sponsored Links
Concrete posts are strong. They have steel bars inside.
Drilling can be hard going but DeWalt extreme bits on a slow hammer makes easy work

Concrete posts are strong. They have steel bars inside.
Drilling can be hard going but DeWalt extreme bits on a slow hammer makes easy work
Yes, they are - but they're also brittle, as I found out by breaking one & a gravel board already :eek:. I still have part of the brokenone so I'll give drilling it a go to see how they fare :)
Can you fit a concrete spur? They will not rot and you can bolt a wooden post to them, raised above ground level.

The metal sockets do not give much lateral support, and they rust badly.

With gate posts, if you make them a bit tall and bolt a lintel across the tops, it holds them upright and prevents sagging or wobbling.

A spur is a great idea, thank you. Perhaps I can couple this with a strap around the top of the concrete post to strap the wooden post in tight too, to prevent movement from when my wife and kids will let the gate slam!

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back