Shaver Charging in Bathroom Shaver socket but not 3 to 2 pin adapters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First time posting, long time reader.

I have just moved into a new build property. My shaver and electric toothbrush both charge/work using the bathroom shaver socket.

I have two, 2 pin to 3 pin adapters to charge the shaver/toothbrush using a 13amp 3 pin normal socket, however neither the shaver nor the toothbrush work when I try. (They worked fined in my old place just before I moved last week). I have tried in multiple sockets. The 3 pin 13amp sockets all work fine for everything else and I have used a socket tester as well. Cannot figure out the issue.

So in summary:
1. Shaver and toothbrush work in bathroom shaver socket (cannot be device specific)
2. I have 2 different brands of 3 pin to 2 pin 13amp adapter and neither works with either the shaver or toothbrush, cannot be the adapters (Also tried switching out the 1 amp fuses in the 3 to 2 pin adapters).
3. I also even tried a spare charging cable for my Braun shaver.

I cannot figure out why it will not work and I've TRAWLED the internet and forums at great length and cannot find anyone else describing the same issue.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Photos of specs for each item attached.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20240829_091551.jpg
    20240829_091551.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240829_091604.jpg
    20240829_091604.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240829_091643.jpg
    20240829_091643.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20240829_091727.jpg
    20240829_091727.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Photo no. 2 appears to be your adaptor.

Why do all three pins look like they are made of black plastic?

Have you tested the removable fuse? What is its rating?

Photo no. 4 is presumably your shaver PSU. Is it an original Braun part? The pins look rather short to me and it looks like it is heavy enough to drag.

Thanks for quick reply. Yes it is shaver psu, absolutely is original. I have 2 of them identical, 1 from old shaver where battery died. As I say, worked in old house using the 3 to 2 converters, and works in the shaver socket, but neither shaver nor toothbrush work in the 3 to 2 pin adapters in my new place I just moved into on Friday...

Sponsored Links
You need to try and check the shaver socket outlet for AC volts, perhaps it’s duff?

The shaver socket works, it's the 3 pin to 2 pin adapters I have that don't seem to work, and they worked in my old place. It's the other way around, which no-one seems to ever have reported. Shaver wall socket is fine, all working. It's the 3 pin to 2 pin adapters to use in 13amp wall sockets that won't work with either my shaver or toothbrush.

There is nothing in the adapter apart from a fuse, so as long as the pins are making good contact it must be the fuse. But you say you've changed the fuse and normal use shouldn't blow a one amp fuse. If it was me, I would check the fuse with a multimeter, but if you don't have one then as a test try a 3 amp fuse. (If your house burns down just tell your insurance company someone on the internet said it would be OK)

Logic says the next test is using a multimeter to measure any AC volts on the 3-pin output of the adaptor when plugged into the shaver socket. Measure L-N as the earth won’t be connected through.

Unplug the white adapter from the mains, undo the screws, and take the front off.

I suspect that the pins of the two pin plugs you are using may have stretched the socket contacts out of true. Nipping them up with needle nosed pliers, so the plug is a snug fit, should fix it.

Hope this helps.

Unplug the white adapter from the mains, undo the screws, and take the front off.

I suspect that the pins of the two pin plugs you are using may have stretched the socket contacts out of true. Nipping them up with needle nosed pliers, so the plug is a snug fit, should fix it.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the suggestion Colin, I will try this and post the outcome.

1724967159826.png
The plugs my look the same, but they are not quite the same, an adaptor like this 1724967299500.png or this 1724967346120.pngsupport the euro plug, but adaptors like this 1724967459273.png offer no support for the plugs, have no shutters, and often no fuse, and once a plug with the fatter pins has been used, those with thinner pins may not make proper contact.
1724967720036.png
Not really want we want, we should be using BS 4673 but often we find the Europlug is fitted.

I use those adaptors for toothbrushes, but for overseas visitors, I got them to bring me a multiway extension which I put a 13A plug on.

Not for North Americans due to their voltage.

Many years ago I bought a bluetoth GPS receiver to use with a pda running TomTom software. It came with a charger with a two pin plug (!) and a two pin to two pin adaptor. Forget which was round it was but the adaptor was necessary in one of UK/France but not the other. Pin spacing was slightly different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back