Shed Base 12ft by 8ft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there.

I'm trying to make a base for a new shed which we have just bought.
I used to do labouring for building works, so I have a little knowledge about floors, bases etc. but I'm not amazing at the maths.

Could someone tell me how much ballast and bags of cement I would need for the base.
I don't need the scalpings as where the base is going, you can only dig down 4-5 inches and there is already hardcore there.
I will just level it off an go over it with a wakka plate.
I will make the frame for the shed 12.1 ft by 8.1ft just to make sure it fits perfect.

Thanks in advanced

Sponsored Links
How thick do you intend to make the base, 4"(100m), 5"(125mm) or 6"(150mm)?

And just to be pedantic, do you mean 12.1 ft or 12ft 1in? Same for the 8.1ft or do you mean 8ft 1in?

An alternative approach;

It’s only a shed; it’s not that heavy & isn’t going anywhere, especially on firm ground. I’ve had/erected many over more years than I’m going to admit to, many larger than that. All I’ve ever done/do is dig out 50mm & lay either 1.8m x 0.3m reinforced fence concrete gravel boards or 600 x 600 x 50mm flagstones (both seem to work equally as well) over around 25-30mm of compacted sharp sand which leaves the slabs around 25mm higher than the surrounding soil/grass. Largest shed at my current property is 20 x 8ft & has been up some 7 years; sheds at my previous property had been there for 18 years when I left & at least one is still there now (7 years later) but you must keep the roof felt in good condition & exterior preservative maintained. I also cover the bottom of the shed base with roofing felt; it’s cheap enough & keeps the shed base nice & dry.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1947036#1947036#ixzz1NxKr3qmi

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you replys guys.

Yes i ment 8ft 1in :S sorry forgot to put that in.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'll soon be building my own shed so the question is related.
But it's still somebody else’s thread & of course you’ve hijacked it :rolleyes:

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/rules.php#ixzz1OKQY5dCU

Welcome to the DIYnot Forums!

Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules and enjoy the site!

6) Do not hi-jack posts. Hi-jacking is adding your query to somebody else's thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back