shed in front of front elevation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I could do with a shed or "garden office" in a spot in front of the front elevation of my house.

It could not be seen from the road.

From what I read you don't need PP (subject to various stuff) if the shed is beside or behind the house.
But you do need PP if the shed is in front of the front elevation of the house.

Is this enforced?

Thanks in advance
Terry.

Sponsored Links
thanks Foxy, would have done that 10 years back but can't get a caravan into that area lol!

I've seen a few sheds etc in front gardens around the place - this is Cornwall after all, where the writ of English law does not always run.

Wondered about just doing it. Who would know? Not people passing by at 55 mph (it's a 30 limit, narrow, no pavements, kids walking to and fro to get school buses etc. but who cares? But I digress.) Hedges and bushes prevent it being visible from the road. Then if the council tell me to move it I'd just move it - but I wouldn't sit by the phone waiting for them to call! Do you just get told to move things or do you get fined / jailed as well?

Requirement is cos of (decreasing) mobility, it's too steep round the back.

- Terry.

thanks Foxy, would have done that 10 years back but can't get a caravan into that area lol!

I've seen a few sheds etc in front gardens around the place - this is Cornwall after all, where the writ of English law does not always run.

Wondered about just doing it. Who would know? Not people passing by at 55 mph (it's a 30 limit, narrow, no pavements, kids walking to and fro to get school buses etc. but who cares? But I digress.) Hedges and bushes prevent it being visible from the road. Then if the council tell me to move it I'd just move it - but I wouldn't sit by the phone waiting for them to call! Do you just get told to move things or do you get fined / jailed as well?

Requirement is cos of (decreasing) mobility, it's too steep round the back.

- Terry.

Sponsored Links
Anything built in front of the front wall of the house needs planning permission, you takes your chances but it is enforceable if they wish to pursue.

So spend a little bit of money on PP or risk the stress of the neighbours shopping you and the resulting hassle

If anyone noticed/complained, you would just get a letter telling you to move it, or risk the consequences - a fine, if you ignore.
If they wish to take action they won't fine you, they would ask you to remove it or apply for planning permission and if you refused or planning permission was refused and they thought it was in the interest of the public, they may take further action that could involve forcing you to demolish it or demolish on your behalf and charge you for the privilege.

Where are the members from the cult of Caravan Act when they are needed to save the day?

Apparently, you can place your shed where you like, and as long as you stick some wheels on the side, it can stay until the rapture.

Where are the members from the cult of Caravan Act when they are needed to save the day?

Apparently, you can place your shed where you like, and as long as you stick some wheels on the side, it can stay until the rapture.

True, anything 'mobile' is exempt.

Just put wheels on it, and call it a 'Shepard's hut'.

Thanks people. Murdochcat, how much is PP likely to cost do you think? I'd obviously prefer to keep it kosher.

Course if I apply and get refused ....

Harry, Freddie, Can't see anyone dobbing me in, got good relations with neighbours, who also wouldn't be able to see it.

I'd like to stay on the straight and narrow, but there doesn't seem to be much of a downside - it's not hard to move a shed if told to.

The idea of fitting wheels sounds like a laugh!

The wheels idea is a moot point so forget that, planning permission would cost upwards of about £275 assuming you did all the drawings yourself, they're not that hard, if paying then I daresay you could find someone to do it for a few hundred more. If it's barely visible and no chance of objections then probably a good chance of approval. Or just whack it up and take your chances, if it can't be seen and the neighbours don't care then as you say, who's to know ....

Freddie, thanks. Blimey. Only looking at sheds costing in the mid-hundreds, looks like PP could double that.

Fortunately there are plenty of other places not in front of the front elevation where it could go if I was told to move it, it's just to get it on the same level cos of mobility. Not having to carry heavy stuff up and down steps. I once fell and landed on a folded-up Black and Decker Workmate I was carrying. I came off worse than it lol.

So if I had to move it I could do.

I'll have a think anyway. Might not get round to ti anyway, just a thought.

- Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back