Shocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I touch a bare live copper wire, and I have rubber or plastic soled shoes on, and no part of my body is touching anything else, will I get a shock?

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the voltage applied and the breakdown of the insulating properties of the soles of the shoes.

Also in an AC circuit the frequency can determine whether you feel a shock or burn.

Sponsored Links
If I touch a bare live copper wire, and I have rubber or plastic soled shoes on, and no part of my body is touching anything else, will I get a shock?

No you wont get an effective shock. that is how birds can stand on 11,000 volt power lines. And how hair raising demonstrations of static electricity can be performed safely.

BUT it is NOT sensible to touch or work on live wires. Even if you are not touching anything else ( work with one hand in pocket ) you have to remain fully alert that nothing and no one makes contact with you.

And if you get a none fatal finger to finger shock your reaction may make you move in a very dangerous way.

No you wont get an effective shock. that is how birds can stand on 11,000 volt power lines.
Only because air is a far superior insulator than plastic soled shoes if the wire was at 11,000 volts potential i don't think it would matter whether he was touching anything else at the time.

Get one of those neon screwdrivers that you love to hate :LOL: and have a play with it, most of the time you'll find it still works even when wearing rubber shoes, and sometimes even if you are stood on a wooden chair!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back