Shoddy Work And Working Practices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a call-out last night.

Socket heat damaged by overload.

Replaced front plate which I noticed was also reverse polarity, same with another socket nearby.

Oh, said the householder, we had a friend do it and you can't really moan if they've done you a favour.

Did they charge you?

Oh, yeah.....

They told me the two blokes that did it had a young lad with them. They didn't teach him which terminal was which, and they obviously didn't check it themselves, either....

Also, the gas fitter (ha,ha) checked for leaks with a lighter. Idiot. And he said dumbly with a laugh, "I ain't blown meself up yet!"

What a gaggle of plonkers!

Sponsored Links
They will surely be given a Darwin award in true time, in real recognition of their stupidity-induced voluntary eugenics.

Perhaps this answers the post on going out and leaving the tradesmen with a key!

What a gaggle of plonkers!

I believe the correct term is a "rodney of plonkers". :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I lose count of the number of cock-ups I see. They all come with an automatic, "Yeah.... a mate done it for me. He's a qualified [enter trade], so he knows what he's doing..."

The other day I came across shed power via a length of 2.5 sq mm twin + cpc trailing across the patio and spurred directly into the back of a socket, which was itself a spur from an interconnected and broken ring, protected by an ancient and chipped 3036 fuse with three strands of 30A fuse wire... "S'alright," I was assured, "I ain't had a shock off it."

Don't you sometimes wish the people that did this stuff ended up suffering by it?

There was somebody on the Screwfix forum with a tale of a shed powered via a flex with a plug on each end. Plug one end in at the house, and the other to a socket in the shed, and hey presto - power to all the sockets in the shed.

Apparently the owner thought it was perfectly OK because he'd never (so far :eek: ) plugged the wrong end in first...

I suppose that would be an error you'd only make once ...... one way or the other .....

Mhist All-Crucking Fighty!

That is BAD! The worst I'd seen of a similar ilk was my idiot of a brother-in-law who fitted the "Appliance" end of a two-part lawnmower connector to the mains lead.........

how else would he know if it was leaking i mean gas is flammable isnt it and all you would get would be an errr pilot sorta light innit :rolleyes: hm could u leave it lit till u sorted the leak that way no gas smell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back