Should I put firring strips on my bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a flat roof (brick and block cavity walls) and I'm reaching what is potentially the final course of bricks. I was planning to cut the last course of bricks at angles and then fix the OSB deck to them. I've realized that this will take a long time. I'm wondering whether I should use a timber firring for the last course instead? It'll be much easier and also make it easier to screw the OSB into.

The big drawback of timber is that it would increase the height of my fascia by 75+mm. That would leave me with 291 to cover with the fascia. So I would need to go with 400mm fascia instead of 250mm. I'm wondering whether cutting the bricks is a fools errand though. Should I just cut the bricks and stop worrying or is timber a better approach?

It would be very similar to what is in this video

Sponsored Links
OP,
Why not post a pic of the build so far - there's a much simpler way but a pic would help me advise you?

OP,
Why not post a pic of the build so far - there's a much simpler way but a pic would help me advise you?
I've covered it up for the evening now but it looks pretty much identical to the video but without the timber on the outer skin. Here's a picture from the video . My inner skin and insulation is also a bit higher than in the video/picture.

I may be able to get a photo tomorrow.

1721591462978.png

I've covered it up for the evening now but it looks pretty much identical to the video but without the timber on the outer skin. Here's a picture from the video . My inner skin and insulation is also a bit higher than in the video/picture.

I may be able to get a photo tomorrow.

View attachment 349842
Are you not having any roof over-hang?

Sponsored Links
Here's a picture. Engineering brick is only there to push the insulation out of the way so that you can see the brickwork clearer. On the right, it's a firring strip on a metal web joist. The brickwork is currently lower by approx 75-125mm.
20240722_085516.jpg

OP,
It would be good to hear about your much simpler way. I've posted a photo above. I don't know whether that shows you what you need.

OP,
I've just got in and I'm pretty tired so, after seeing your pic, I dont want to get into a detailed explanation or a lengthy question & answer series of posts that might be needed.
So I'll pass - but why not get a joiner to come on site & give you a heads up after seeing the whole build?

OP,
I've just got in and I'm pretty tired so, after seeing your pic, I dont want to get into a detailed explanation or a lengthy question & answer series of posts that might be needed.
So I'll pass - but why not get a joiner to come on site & give you a heads up after seeing the whole build?
An interesting bozzo

I think I'm going to spend the time and cut the bricks as anything other than bricks will require a taller fascia. I'll probably use some masonry screws to screw the timber to the bricks.

I'm struggling to think of something that is simpler than cutting a piece of wood and gluing it.

I think if I were to get a joiner on site, then he'd probably say I need a brickie, or do what is in the video.

OP,

You got in, you are tired- fair enough, but why not just say "I'll get back to you tomorrow"?

Your initial response suggested that there is an easy way to do it. Now you are telling the OP that they need to find a chippy... would this be a chippy that can bend time and space to enable a less tall fascia board?

The OP is lucky to get an "explanation " ree usually just disappears off the thread. Or gets abusive if someone disagrees . A troll of the first order.

Disappointed about not hearing the "much simpler way". :cry: Even after ree's had time to get his energy back. :rolleyes:

Normally, the outer joist would be fitted with noggins to the joist on the inner face of the wall, and then the noggins packed up or built in to the outer leaf to support it.

Normally, the outer joist would be fitted with noggins to the joist on the inner face of the wall, and then the noggins packed up or built in to the outer leaf to support it.
There's a much simpler method, but I'm a bit too busy on mumsnet for the the next couple of weeks to explain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back