Shower cubicle sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new shower cubicle installed (not very well with hindsight) a couple of years ago. I recently noticed there was mould behind the clear sealant between the shower tray and the bottom frame. This is on part of the curved area and at a point where there is a small gap between the frame and the shower tray. I was never happy with the sealant between the frame and the tray (external) as it is very uneven. It was even worse at first so I got them to redo the sealant. Unfortunately this wasn't much better and I realised this was maybe the best they could do and vowed to redo it myself at a later date.

That time has possibly arrived as I cannot get rid of the mould. The obvious reason for the mould is water sitting under the frame where there is a gap. I intended to seal around the inside of the frame when I resealed around the outside once I had thoroughly cleaned out any mould. This would prevent any water getting under the bottom frame. However, I have the installation instructions for the cubicle and it specifically says not to seal around the inside of the cubicle. Why would this be?

Sponsored Links
Why would this be?
It's an installation standard. Any water/moisture getting into the frame needs to be able to drain back into the tray.

That being said, there shouldn't be such a gap below the frame @ the tray point that should allow copious amounts of water to get underneath it to create black mould. What section of the frame are you talking about and how big a gap is there? Can you post a pic? Any reason the sealant isn't white as I guess the tray is white?

The gap is about the thickness of a £2 coin, perhaps a little more. (See photos). However, this gap tapers off to nothing at the ends of the frame. I am considering using white sealant on the outside as I think this will look better. The area of mould seems to match up with a badly applied length of sealant. Perhaps this is the problem.
20241002_145634.jpg
20241002_145727.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back