Shower pump anti-vibration hoses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been advised to change my 15mm x 3/4" pump hoses because they have isolating valves because they not being full bore.

Yet if I measure the bores on both the isolating and non-isolating hose they both have 8mm.

Advised to change to 22mm x 3/4" hoses, measured a non-isolating hose with a 13mm bore and a isolating hose with a 9mm bore.

Most hoses online such as Salamander and Stuart Turner offering isolating valve hoses, so why is 22mm pipework stipulated for most pumps when the inlet/outlet is restricted worse than that of a 15mm copper pipe with their 9mm bore.

Been searching for 22mm x 3/4" non-isolating hoses, very scarce to find any to make use of their 13mm bore to have max flow.

Any suggestions of online outlets for them.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes its the hoses supplied. 15mm x 3/4” with valves

Yet I have spare hoses of different lengths and they all have the bore for 15mm x 3/4” of 8mm with or without the valve and 22mm x 3/4” with 9mm bore with the valve and 13mm bore without.

Why were new hoses recommended to you? The standard hoses that came with the pump (Turboboost Mk2's are made by Salamander) should always be the hoses that are used for best results. That being said, the hoses that seem to come with that pump don't have valves, though are 15mm as standard.

1727189378365.png

New recommended hoses can be bought

They are the hoses I had, which were too long and yes no isolating valves.

But these too have the same small bore size as the ones I'm using with isolating valves of approx. 9mm.

So now searching for 22mm x 3/4" approx 300mm or 500mm long without isolating valves.

Searched google and found Salamanda hoses are 'Qualflex'. Can get 22mm x 3/4" 300/500mm Tap connector for £4.91 against approx £20 for a pump connector. :unsure:

The hoses in use have isolating valves and was suggested they were restricting the flow.

But as said above many times, there are no differences in the bore size of either hose.
Both types are app 8mm id.

Ah ok, if the ID is the same as the non ISO flexi pipes that came with the pump then there shouldn't be any impact to the flow that the pump can deliver.

I guess the other question is, who told you that :)

It's very true that full bore ISO's are better for flow than narrow ones but that's usually when it comes to mains supplies and certainly gravity water supplies. Pumped supplies by their very nature are forced/drawn therefore if the ID of the pipe matches the bore size of the ISO ball valve then there shouldn't be any difference.

Only thing I will point out though is, standard S/S braided ISO pipes aren't the same as a pumps low vibration hoses, apparently they are constructed differently, so always the beast to use the proper hoses for it and if needed then full bore ISO's fitted separately.

What is the point of all this?
Are you trying to get more out of the pump by questioning the bore of the flexis?
No,
Some manufactures specify/supply 15mm or 22mm hoses to have full supply flow to the their pumps.
Some hoses are without isolating valves and some with.
On a 15mm flexi hose supply you could have in-effect have a supply through a 8mm hole restricting the flow. On 22mm flexi hose supply you could have a supply through a 9mm hole restricting the flow, no better off than a 15mm supply.

Why do manufactures specify pipe sizes for warranty purposes when you never going to get full bore with either 15 or 22mm flexible hoses, making the pump suffer from cavitation etc.

Where Turboboost specify 15mm, I’ve upgraded my pipework/hoses to 22mm to have full bore to that of a 15mm copper pipe to have maximum flow to the inlets. ‍♂️

No,
Some manufactures specify/supply 15mm or 22mm hoses to have full supply flow to the their pumps.
Some hoses are without isolating valves and some with.
On a 15mm flexi hose supply you could have in-effect have a supply through a 8mm hole restricting the flow. On 22mm flexi hose supply you could have a supply through a 9mm hole restricting the flow, no better off than a 15mm supply.

Why do manufactures specify pipe sizes for warranty purposes when you never going to get full bore with either 15 or 22mm flexible hoses, making the pump suffer from cavitation etc.

Where Turboboost specify 15mm, I’ve upgraded my pipework/hoses to 22mm to have full bore to that of a 15mm copper pipe to have maximum flow to the inlets. ‍♂️

They'll still do their best to cry out of a warranty call though! Been there, had that numerous times!

.... because manufacturers spend a large amount of £'s designing their pumps and the parts they supply that are attached to them, and run them for 1000's of hrs on test beds and then final in real life testing phases just so they have confidence that their pumps will then perform as the design dictates. They are then able to quote and qualify their specifications and have a degree of confidence in their performance figures that then allows them to warranty the product - as long as the end user follow their MI's and uses all the supplied hardware along with their pump.

They will have tested their pumps as far as input and output level are concerned as far as cavitation etc is concerned, hence why they are warrantied. If the MI's are followed, all the correct hardware is used, the supply is as pre the manual and then the pump impeller etc fails due to cavitation or anything else, then it gets sent back under warranty and a new one is supplied. The thing is though unless the manual is followed to the letter they are very good at trying to worm their way out of it and can sometimes find the little of things to not honour it.

Changing anything, even the smallest thing then allows them to negate that warranty.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back