Shower tray base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to refit my shower tray due to movement and leaks.

I have a new marine ply base with cement (wedi) board on top. I intend to use rapid set flexi tile adhesive to sit the shower tray on.

My question is; should I seal the cement board with an SBR primer or is that step not necessary?

Sponsored Links
There's 2 answers to your question:-
1. You don't need to SBR Cement Board : Rapid flex loves it and will adhere no problem. Give it a wipe with a slightly damp sponge first though.
( I would use a 6mm trowel for a very thin bed between the Ply and the cement board though, before you screw it down )

2. Another trane of thought is that the weakness here is in the rapidflex (not)adhering to the bottom of the tray. Most installers would simply forget about the C.Board, and just put on a good dollop of a sanitary silicone in rows and columns 6 inches apart.
This will 1. Definitely grab the board 2. Definitely grab the underside of the tray, and 3. Make it easier to level it once its lowered down. Obvs leave it for a minimum of overnight to cure before you stand in it.

There's 2 answers to your question:-
1. You don't need to SBR Cement Board : Rapid flex loves it and will adhere no problem. Give it a wipe with a slightly damp sponge first though.
( I would use a 6mm trowel for a very thin bed between the Ply and the cement board though, before you screw it down )

2. Another trane of thought is that the weakness here is in the rapidflex (not)adhering to the bottom of the tray. Most installers would simply forget about the C.Board, and just put on a good dollop of a sanitary silicone in rows and columns 6 inches apart.
This will 1. Definitely grab the board 2. Definitely grab the underside of the tray, and 3. Make it easier to level it once its lowered down. Obvs leave it for a minimum of overnight to cure before you stand in it.
Ok, that's interesting, thanks. Would sanitary silicone still work if the bottom of the tray is not level? It bulges slightly in the middle so rocks a bit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back