Showtray Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with tiling and installing a shower tray. I took out the old ensuite and started putting in a new one. When I was putting in the shower tray a did notice that the cut away off the floor boards were a little weak, I didn't think it would matter too much and fitted the tray. I have since layed and tiled the floor up to the shower tray and now I am just about to start tanking the walls.

This moring I noticed some downward movement in the showertray and the floor around it. Basically, I think the cut open floor boards for the trap is dipping a little under weight. You can hear the creek when you step on the floor and a little be moreso when you step into the shower. I am not a little confused as what I should do . The shower tray is in and sealed and I can't see too much movement on the sealant (a really, really small amount, maybe).

It would be a nightmare to have to take out the tray and lift the floor, and even then I am not sure how I could fix the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions, could I get away with the slight movement?

Sponsored Links
horizonuser said:
Does anyone have any suggestions, could I get away with the slight movement?
I very much doubt it. When I install a tray I don't warrant the work unless I'm allowed to secure any loose flooring first.

Unless you sort it out you're likely to have perennial problems.

Why do you think it will be a nightmare to correct it? Surely you just need to identify the loose/weak flooring and replace it or make it good?

Cause I'd have to take the tray out first, which is fitted and sealed. I'd then have to take back up the floor tiles, fix the floor board (couldn't replace it as I would have to move the partition wall) then put it all back in.
Like I said, a nightmare!

Any suggestions how to fix the floor board without taking it out and replacing it?

Sponsored Links
horizonuser said:
Cause I'd have to take the tray out first, which is fitted and sealed.
OK, but that's just a case of removing the bottom row of tiles, isn't it?

I'd then have to take back up the floor tiles
Well, perhaps, but only some of them, surely?

Any suggestions how to fix the floor board without taking it out and replacing it?
It depends what's wrong with it. If it's in poor condition then I'd replace the affected area with equivalent thickness of plywood. When the old flooring runs under a wall, then it's traditional to cut it with a saw.

Any suggestions on how to take up just a row of tiles from a ply board? Anytime I have tried I have ended up having to take up the whole floor!!

Never had a problem - just use a hammer and bolster, working from the side of each tile, and lever it up.

If you don't have access to a side of any tile to start with, then smash into the centre of one tile and remove it first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back