Signal issue with my TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is an issue for me at home in Madrid, Spain but I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything I possibly can to make this work.
Moved into an apartment in the centre of Madrid.
Hooked up the TV and all the channels worked fine. The kids loved the music channel called Hit TV.
However, we changed the position of the TV and had to extend the cable. Now, I know that this can have an impact on signal strength, but what happened was that the Hit TV channel was no longer coming through. We assumed it was due to the cable being extended.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, we got a new TV after a while and tuned that in and still there was no Hit TV, much to the disappointment of the kids, but we still figured that this was down to the cable extension.
After a while we moved the (new) TV back to the older position, and were able to connect to the original line and so we sync'd the channels again and Hit TV did not tune in. My neighbours have it and most households and bars around us have it and so the kids were raging!
I called out a technician and he said that perhaps the cabling we were using wasn't good enough and so we replaced that with the most expensive cabling we could find that was made for 4K systems as well as anything below that, but it makes no difference, the channel still won't tune back in. We even tried a signal amplifier and that didn't work either.
Is there something I may be doing wrong here? It isn't hugely important of course, but given that I have shelled out for new cabling I thought I had better at least try to get to the bottom of this?
If anyone knows what the cause of this is or if there might be something I have over looked I'd be interested to know.

Sponsored Links
An apartment in a block is most likely to be a shared (communal) antenna (aerial) system and it's possible there is a fault within the system feeding one (or a few) apartment only. But that needs checking by the communal system operator.

Any TV antenna technician worth their salt would use a signal meter to check and measure the signal levels on the wall outlet and at the end of any extension. That would identify an issue of too little (or even too much) signal from the communal system and any cable problems.

Cables and Connections are still the most likely issue. Check and remake the plugs / sockets.
NB there is no such thing as 'digital tv' or '4k tv' coaxial cable - it's marketing bovine excrement! Spain probably uses the F-plug and socket system rather than IEC Belling Lee TV plugs in the UK?? Or not??

NB Decent all-copper double-screened coax is all that is needed. Webro WF100 being a quality example. Gold plated plugs are an indicator of 'bling' over quality.

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?lang=en&liste=2&live=553 has the transmit frequencies used in Madrid. You can use that to identify what other channels you may not be receiving. Also use the TV's signal metering to check levels on all the frequencies you do receive OK (even if you do not watch them!) for reference. Try a manual tune on the ch39 (618 MHz) frequency for the multiplex containing HIT TV and see what the metering shows?

You could try tuning the TV on another apartment's outlet and then don't retune again to help fault find the issue in yours?

Wow, thanks for that incredible detail. The techie did check the signal levels and he felt they were perfect and that is why he suggested the cable replacement. He works for the landlord of the building and several other buildings so he didn't provide any cabling. He just suggested that I replace my in house cabling with a new high quality cable and so that is what I did. There is a noticeable difference in the appearance of the cabling with the new one being a little thicker and looks like better quality all round. I bought it on Amazon. Your help is very much appreciated.

I've checked that channel39 and frequency 618MHz and there is no signal there. I wonder why that is? Would the amplifier cause a problem there? Although I did tune the TV without the Amplifier involved in the first place.

Sponsored Links
I've checked that channel39 and frequency 618MHz and there is no signal there. I wonder why that is? Would the amplifier cause a problem there? Although I did tune the TV without the Amplifier involved in the first place.
and the others??

EDIT. Amplifying an amplified communal system signals is bad practice and more likely to make things worse than help. Over-amplification in communal systems isn't unknown and too much signal can give symptoms similar to too little.
Cable losses are minimal unless one is talking many 10s of metres of cable.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've spent a good bit of time on the channels and that seems to be the only one with no signal which is really strange.

What does the meter report on each of those frequencies: both Signal Level and Quality for each?
Both with/without the additional amplifier?
Also direct connected to the wallplate with a short lead for completeness.

Digitalbitrate lists frequency channels:
22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, 41 & 48 are available (in at least parts of Madrid).

That's 16 multiplexes in total. A lot of checks, but the numbers might show a pattern to point towards a fault and at least determine if just 39 or multiple muxes are missing in your dwelling.

Take the TV to another apartment and try it there.
If it can receive OK then move it back and test again...

I haven't tested them all yet but I have tested several of them and they all have full signal (that is, there is a graphic of a bar underneath and it is highlighted fully from left to right) except for channel 39 with says the words no signal

I haven't tested them all yet but I have tested several of them and they all have full signal (that is, there is a graphic of a bar underneath and it is highlighted fully from left to right) except for channel 39 with says the words no signal
You wrote
"(there is a graphic of a bar underneath and it is highlighted fully from left to right) except for channel 39 with says the words no signal".

I was going to write that most TVs display an indication of both the "Strength" and "Quality" of the digital signal which they are receiving for a few seconds after "switching" to any "new" Channel.
That which you have described indicates that the "Channel 39" signal is too weak to register - in that TV location.

Earlier, you indicated that Channel 39 was received in another location.
What was/is the strength/quality indicated in that location.

Is Channel 39 in Madrid somewhat of an "outlier" in terms of "Signal Strength"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back