Silicone bead size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think? It's about 7mm each side, or would it look better with trims?

Thanks

IMG_20210709_101405221.jpg

Sponsored Links
What is the distance if it was even both sides?

It's about 5mm, the chunk out is about 4mm so it would be a gobby lump about 9mm thick where the missing bit is.

Sponsored Links
As long as the gap is not over 10mm you are fine.

Since it's over 5mm gap then place a backer rod in so you can create a seal that's 5mm deep.

Up to you if you want to use a cloaking fillet.

Use the correct silicone. Low modulus neutral cure, which will last longer than a low modulus acetoxy. If you use an acetoxy silicone (smells like vinegar) then the adhesion to uPVC will be comparatively poor.

Thanks guys, I think I will trim, I don't feel confident to do such a wide bead over such a long length (window is 2m tall) and it looks a little bit off centre if I pack it over to close the gap a bit.

It's window fitting time for me at the moment, bi-folds next so I'll post a new thread on that subject!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back