Simple flat Black uPVC fascia board for the side of a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping to renew the old gutters and partially rotten wooden fascia board on the side of my garage.

Here is a (not very good) picture

pic 1.JPG

But here is a cross-section diagram which shows better what's currently going on.

crosssection 1.png

The wooden fascia board is 100mm deep, 20mm thick , 4500mm long, plugged and screwed directly into the bricks. The gutter brackets are then screwed into the wooden fascia board.

Ideally I would like to renew the fascia board in black uPVC, but I cannot for the life of me find anything suitable.

The smallest fascia boards and fascia capping boards I can find are 150mm deep and all have that lip bit at the bottom that protrudes out about 30mm that's intended to support a soffit board, but my garage doesn't have a soffit and the 30mm deep lip is too deep for my only 20mm thick fascia board.

Ideally I just need a simple 100mm deep, 20mm thick, 4500mm long plank of black uPVC. Does such a thing exist? If it does where can I buy it?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You would buy the 150mm with the 30mm lip and simply cut it to fit. It will cut very easily with a hand saw or even several scores with a sharp Stanley knife. Just keep it all well supported while you cut it to avoid breakages and get help fitting it as that is a fair length to be struggling with solo.

You would buy the 150mm with the 30mm lip and simply cut it to fit. It will cut very easily with a hand saw or even several scores with a sharp Stanley knife. Just keep it all well supported while you cut it to avoid breakages and get help fitting it as that is a fair length to be struggling with solo.

Thanks, it never crossed my mind to cut it with a saw.

Now another possibly daft question, is black fascia capping board black all of the way through, or is it white on the inside? If you google "150mm black fascia capping board" all the pictures show that it's white on the inside. I've highlighted on this image what I mean.

black capping, white on the inside 2.jpg

All of my local DIY sheds only seem to stock white fascia capping board, so I've never seen any black capping board up close in the real world.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is white in the centre and just has a black coating.

I wonder why they do that? The only practical reason I can think of (remembering school physics) is that black absorbs heat more than white, so black uPVC probably expands and contracts more than white uPVC, so having white uPVC inside a black coating may reduce the expansion/contraction. However black uPVC gutters, down pipes, soil pipes and brackets are all solid black uPVC all of the way through. :unsure:

Suppose I can just dab a bit of black paint on the white end bits.

There are some great adhesives out there now so they are a good choice especially with it been low level as easier to refix should the weather do it's worst but i would use Polytop nails for a permanent fix. They come in several sizes so choose what works and take care not to overhit them as they can create dimples.

Thanks for the tip about the dimples. (y)

I think those 30mm polytop nails might be a tiny bit too long as my wooden fascia boards are only 20mm and the capping is 9mm. I've googled about and the only place I've been able to find smaller ones are these 25mm ones on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184245000671

I'm pretty confident about what I need to do now. Thanks for all your help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back