Simple.. Q on mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know normally MCB’s are in enclosures and work in a vertical alignment.
Have a install where putting a 2 module enclosure at 90 degrees instead would make install a lot easier, it would mean MCB would be horizontal rather than vertical. Any reason this can’t be done ?

Wylex MCB data sheet for NHXLB06 does not give any restriction on orientation.

Sponsored Links
I know normally MCB’s are in enclosures and work in a vertical alignment. Have a install where putting a 2 module enclosure at 90 degrees instead would make install a lot easier, it would mean MCB would be horizontal rather than vertical. Any reason this can’t be done ?
Not than I can think of. The same MCBs are often used (for single-phase circuits) in 3-phase distribution boards, in which case they are usually orientated 'horizontally'.

Others may have mnore definitive/authoritative things to say.

Kind Regards, John

Ta ... seen them on motors where they are often at 90 degrees
You're welcome. Here's an example from the web of a horizonal SP MCB in a 3-phase board ..

1664562186584.png

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Even better when it wa patriotic Red, White and blue.;)
I think that I've still got at least one pair of 2-way light switches wired with that :)

Perhaps more interesting, as I think I've illustrated in the past, my incoming 3-phase supply is identified with ancient red, blue and green disks! .... not to mention the "A", "B" & "C" identifiers on the tails, and the red-insulated (and-over-stripped!) incoming neutral (which 'evidence' was hidden with grey silicone at the last meter change :) ) ...

1664563511058.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back