Single FCU to Double FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single FCU (Fused Connection Unit?) in the garage that provides power for the garage door opener, it has a 13A fuse.

I want to add a smart garage controller to it that also requires power.

Can I convert the single FCU into a double FCU using two modular FCUs (https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-grid-fused-spur-white/29759) in the original box using a modular faceplate (https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-grid-fused-spur-white/29759)? They would have a 13A fuse for the door opener and 3A (or 1A) fuse for the controller.

I'm not yet sure if the existing FCU is a spur or not, as I've not been able to look yet.

Sponsored Links
Or you could just put another standard fcu next to the existing one....
Yeah I did consider that as one of my options, but it would be mounted to the fireproof ceiling (sorry I forgot to mention that) next to where the original is. I've no idea how easy/hard that is. I assume it's similar to plasterboard, but I have no idea what it is really.

These modular FCUs seemed slightly less hassle :LOL:

My question was more in terms of electrical safety/regulations. But I guess a double FCU compared to one next to it is really no different? It also depends on whether the original is a spur or not?

If it's a spur, would I connect the second FCU to the fused side (output) of the first FCU, or to the other side (input)?
If it's not a spur would I just connect them both to the ring main, i.e. the same place?

Last edited:
Yes, if the original one is a spur you can just feed the new one from the downstream/output side. In fact even it it's not a spur.
I would not think you are likely to need the controller powered when there is no power to the opener.

Sponsored Links
Yes, if the original one is a spur you can just feed the new one from the downstream/output side. In fact even it it's not a spur.
I would not think you are likely to need the controller powered when there is no power to the opener.
Ah OK that's cool, thank you :giggle:

You're right about not needing power to the controller if the opener is dead lol .. in fact that might be better, as we get offline notifications from the controller, so that could indicate there's a problem with either.

I have a single FCU (Fused Connection Unit?) in the garage that provides power for the garage door opener, it has a 13A fuse. ... I want to add a smart garage controller to it that also requires power.
Can I convert the single FCU into a double FCU using two modular FCUs ...... They would have a 13A fuse for the door opener and 3A (or 1A) fuse for the controller.
You could, but does the controller really need the protection of a 3A fuse? If not, you could simply run it from the same (single) FCU supplying the door opener.

Kind Regards, John

I used the LAP version IMGP7387c.jpg the problem is there is no place for the neutral wires, not a problem with how I used it, as also had a socket, but the back box would need to be deep enough to take connectors for earth and neutral. The pair of LAP fuse holder would clip into the LAP 2-Module Modular Faceplate White (42092) but it is down to room remaining.

You could, but does the controller really need the protection of a 3A fuse? If not, you could simply run it from the same (single) FCU supplying the door opener.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John. This was also something I considered. But as the power cable to the controller is not very thick, I thought it best to have a lower rated fuse, just in case.

I used the LAP version View attachment 344776 the problem is there is no place for the neutral wires, not a problem with how I used it, as also had a socket, but the back box would need to be deep enough to take connectors for earth and neutral. The pair of LAP fuse holder would clip into the LAP 2-Module Modular Faceplate White (42092) but it is down to room remaining.
Nice!

Luckily the existing back box for me is quite deep (plus it already had an earth connector built in), so I had plenty of room for a neutral connector.

I ended up opting for two LAP FCUs, as described in my original post.

It also turned out to be on the ring main, rather than a spur, which was a bonus (apart from the extra cables to deal with lol).

The controller is all working perfectly now, no more neighbours calling us to tell us the garage door has been left open hopefully!

Could you not, as they are both associated anyway, simply run both items off the one single spur?

Either both flexes into the one spur, or daisy chain them.

Could you not, as they are both associated anyway, simply run both items off the one single spur? ... Either both flexes into the one spur, or daisy chain them.
Already asked a while ago ...
... but the OP has now responded ..
Thanks John. This was also something I considered. But as the power cable to the controller is not very thick, I thought it best to have a lower rated fuse, just in case.
... which, dependent upon the circumstances, could be a valid consideration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back