Single oven and microwave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to run a single oven (2500W) and a microwave (2800W) off a double socket. Both have standard 13A plugs attached

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The guideline is that any load of over 2000W should have its own separate circuit. This is fine in an ideal world when an installation is being installed, but not quite so practical when the kitchen is already in place.

Many appliances (like yours) come with plugs attached and people just plug them in, without a thought.

Practically the guidance above is correct. Don't plug them into the same socket, they aren't man enough to power both at the same time. The socket may fail at some point, probably on Christmas Day, and you won't want that to happen.

Sponsored Links
I note that MK sockets without any filters RCD or other specials are rated 13A per outlet but the standard is I think only requiring manufacturer to market a socket which allows 20A for the pair.

So with a good quality socket likely there will be no problem. The standard oven quickly starts to cycle as it reaches heat and the microwave often has maximum time of 10 minutes. It's all down to heat caused by the fuse so in the main it will be OK.

If the ovens are fixed then yes they should have a dedicated supply. The idea is items which are light enough to be classed as portable are unlikely to draw current over an extended time.

I note most fan heaters today are only 2kW the idea of a 3kW room heater seems to have gone even though the 13A plug was designed to allow electric heaters to heat the house.

The 2kW rule makes sense with immersion heaters, tumble driers, and electric fires all which can run for an extended time. But washing machine (without drier built in) dish washer, and conventional oven although in theory should have dedicated supplies personally can't see the problem plugged into the ring final as the high demand is for such a short time.

The 2kW rule makes sense with immersion heaters, tumble driers, and electric fires all which can run for an extended time.

There is no 2kW rule and never has been. It is guidance only and is ignored by manufacturers of electric fires, tumble driers etc who sell appliances with moulded plugs.

It's recommended and best practice. To actually tell someone not to do it is disgraceful negligence. I guess you just do the bare minimum job you can get away with? :rolleyes:

It's recommended and best practice. To actually tell someone not to do it is disgraceful negligence. I guess you just do the bare minimum job you can get away with? :rolleyes:

So you are suggesting BS1363 plugs are not good enough for their rated value? If this is really the case fuses bigger than 9 amps should not be available.

I'm sorry, every plug has 13 amp written on it, the vast majority are sold with default 13 amp fuses, and lots of appliances over 2kW are sold with plugs on them. Are all these manufacturers of appliances, plugs, and fuses guilty of disgraceful negligence? Perhaps you should tell them. This guidance was dreamt up by someone not in the real world.

To be fair, the guidance (and that's all it is) about certain loads >2kW having dedicated circuits is not really anything to do with the capabilities of plugs/sockets (indeed, the guidance doesn't say that the 'dedicated radial circuit' can't have a plug/socket) but is merely one of the suggestions as to how to avoid parts of the cabling of a ring final getting overloaded by having large loads applied at a single point.

Kind Regards, John

So you are suggesting BS1363 plugs are not good enough for their rated value?

I don't think that he is. The issue (and the subject of this topic) is about the capability of the SOCKET.

Would you care to document the current carrying capacity of a double socket outlet and confirm that it would be suitable for the two loads that the OP has detailed?

Would you care to document the current carrying capacity of a double socket outlet and confirm that it would be suitable for the two loads that the OP has detailed?
As so often discussed, that's the problem- no-one seems to know. Even MK were unable to give me a satisfactory answer in relation to their double sockets.

Kind Regards, John

The guideline is that any load of over 2000W should have its own separate circuit.
No, the guideline is that they not be supplied by a ring final. (We need an insight to know that this is one :D ).

And it's not "any" load. I know in this case the loads are of the type identified in the guidance, but nobody would consider putting in a dedicated circuit for a kettle...

I note that MK sockets without any filters RCD or other specials are rated 13A per outlet but the standard is I think only requiring manufacturer to market a socket which allows 20A for the pair.
No, the standard requires that a dual 13A socket is not damaged by overheating when it supplies 20A for an extended period.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back