Sink plumbing plan help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always known the pipework under our kitchen sink was a mess since we bought the place a few years back but it's never caused an issue so I've never got around to sorting it.... I now need to add a feed for a new plumbed in fridge so it seems like a good time to tidy it up a bit, just wanted to ask a couple questions on what I'm thinking...

I think the obvious big problem at the moment is the pipes are just hovering in the cupboard.... they're not fixed to the wall with pipe clips at all. I've put together a basic picture to show what I was planning, the water filter pictured is going to be removed as the fridge will have one so that can be ignored.

Image numbers:
1. New Tee added to feed the fridge. I'm hoping to use PEX for the line to the fridge which is the other side of the kitchen so I can get a single continuous run thanks to the clear route under the cabinets. I think if I use a push fit tee here I can combine both copper and PEX as long as I pop a SS insert into the pex pipe first. This is around 6m to the fridge so according to the manufacturer this is too far for the fridge supply feed itself.
2. Full-bore compression/pushfit isolation valve, just so we can turn off the feed to the garage and fridge when I need to replace a filter - unless there's one on the fridge feed end (?).
3. Pull both the hot and cold feeds closer to the wall so they're not sticking out so far and can be securely clipped to the back wall.
4. Hopefully this pipe will then align with the base of the cold tee so will just need an elbow fitting up to the tee.
5. Enjoy chilled water from the fridge.

I have no idea if these existing push fitting are demountable but I can cut the pipes if not anyway. I'm really just trying to decide what fittings to replace them with, everyone seems to have their own opinions online and there doesn't seem to be a consensus (unless it's pure solder). I've used quite a few compression fittings over the years but I've never soldered (wouldn't mind learning). I've just discovered "Yorkshire" fittings with the solder within, seems like they're easy and cheap enough but I'll require a £40 odd blow torch first. Alternatively "Tectite Classic Push Fit" fittings which are cheap for a one-off job, look much nicer than the big plastic ones and couldn't be easier by the looks, these don't feel like they'll last as well but I'm sure they do! Added benefit of being able to join the PEX pipe directly into the tee rather vs the yorkshire fitting?

Any thoughts welcome!

Attachments

• 20240919_123935 copy.jpg
    20240919_123935 copy.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The push fit are HEP - you can buy a 15mm key to disconnect them but they can be really stubborn and sometimes leave the insert inside the fitting
1726823609380.png
1. yes, no reason not to
2. Same as above
3. same as above and must tidier/secure
4. may do, won't know till it's all aligned

Separate those ISO valves from the tap flexis and take the PTFE tape off the threads, it's pointless and doesn't do anything. You either need to file down to top of the ISO where the flexi connects to to take the sharp edge off or use proper tap tail adapters that have a flat face to make the proper connection onto the seal in the flexi.

Good to know, I'll probably just cut them fully off in that case. Ah yes the classic PTFE tape on the threads, I've seen it in a few places around the house over the years. I was hoping to leave that section of the pipe untouched to avoid upsetting the compression fittings but if I do remove them I'll remove the tape.

I'll continue with my Tectite Classic Push Fit plans in that case! Perhaps I'll just replace the whole pipe up to the tap and just use the tail adapters....Will be getting a new sink tap in there soon anyway. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back