Skim vs replaster… effort difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just bought an old house that needs renovation, as always though going it on a budget leads so questions like this.

The entire house is covered in wall paper that looks far from new. I’m on a timescale with this so would like your help in weighing up whether I:

a) pay someone to strip the wall paper and pray the plaster underneath is still sound, ideally then supporting just a skim to freshen up. Not forgetting I might do this only to find the plaster is shot and still needs option b..

b) pay someone to take it back to brick entirely which I’ve no doubt is quicker than stripping wall paper, but face a larger bill for replastering.

With this in mind, picture what you consider an average 3 bed house. As a % of time, how much more time does replastering take vs reskimming?

For example, if you’d say it takes 5 days to re-skim, is it 10+ equivalent to replaster so 100% more effort, or more/less?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old house? Lime plaster?
Lime plaster is used to allow walls to breath or moisture will be trapped if you use gypsum plaster.
What makes you think it all wants to come off back to brick?

Old house? Lime plaster?
Lime plaster is used to allow walls to breath or moisture will be trapped if you use gypsum plaster.
What makes you think it all wants to come off back to brick?
Not sure, is 1930ish recent enough not to have lime plaster?

Place needs a full re wire so will need at minimum skimming throughout to make good all the chasing, which in itself if I got it back to brick would change the re wire to be nearer to first fix and quicker, not to mention ceilings need going over too so I can’t avoid plastering in general as part of the project

Cavity in house? You can tell looking at brick pattern. I guess so at 1930s.
You could consider insulated board and dot and dab. Or just dot and dab plasterboard.
Sand and cement backing and skim or hardwall backing plaster and skim.

You need to take advice. Get quotes

Sponsored Links
You could baton and board , allows for adding insulation and make rewire a doddle .

Cavity in house? You can tell looking at brick pattern. I guess so at 1930s.
You could consider insulated board and dot and dab. Or just dot and dab plasterboard.
Sand and cement backing and skim or hardwall backing plaster and skim.

You need to take advice. Get quotes
Got another inspection, normal cavity wall (currently uninsulated).

So think it comes down to

>back to brick, achieve efficiencies for some of the first fix works, reboard (dot and dab), and skim.

> strip wall paper and hope the plaster is otherwise sound, have major works done through this all, reskim.

So I’m left with the unknown of how long itl take to strip all the wallpaper, and the state of the plaster underneath. Hmmm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back