Skirting Board to Wooden Floor Gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice and guidance please.

I have found a room where the carpet is slid under the neath the skirting board. Hard to say for sure but suspect gaps of between 0.5cm and 1cm between bottom of skirting board and floor.

I am not keen on removing and lowering skirting board, but mindful of potential of drafts due to the gap.

Whilst it’s wrong time of year to determine if the gap is causing a draft. I am thinking of proactively filling the gap, which of the below would you feel are best? I doubt Caulk will be an option for the parts of the skirting with large gap.

1) Lay strips of thick carpet underlay under the skirting to prevent draft coming from up from below floor boards. Leave a small gap between underlay and top of skirting to allow carpet to be tucked under still.

2) Fit extra thick draught excluder strips between floor board and bottom of skirting - Stormguard Extra Thick Weatherstrips White 3.5m 2 Pack - Screwfix . i.e. Stick it to the floorboard.

3) Fit extra beading around the edge of the carpet to the skirting board - White Flooring Trim - 2m | Wickes.co.uk. Not keen on this approach.

4) Place expansion cork strips between the floor and the bottom of the skirting board - Vitrex Expansion Cork Strips - Pack of 18 | Wickes.co.uk. Leave a small gap between underlay and top of skirting to allow carpet to be tucked under.

5) Insert Pinewood strips between the floor and the bottom of the skirting board. Make sure the carpet is then fitted higher than the pinewood strips and against the skirting board.

6 I read somewhere that small strips of loft insulation or mineral woold insulation could be used to fill the gap?

I welcome your thoughts, experiences and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back