Skirtingboard Marks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My house is just over 6 years old. There are a lot of these markings on the skirting boards. This room is the worst of them all and I can only assume it must have been the glue used for the vinyl. Also, if you look, there is a gap between the vinyl in places.

How best can I sort this mess out? I have a mouse sander. Would it be best to remove the sealant between the vinyl and skirting board, sand the board down and then re-paint (but what paint would be best)? I would really like to get new vinyl down but it isn’t something I could do, so not sure if I should wait until i get some fitted or just crack on with it now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2702.jpeg

IMG_2700.jpeg
IMG_2701.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Looks more like damage from when the careless floor fitter used some spray adhesive when they fitted the vinyl to me, very typical. I would sand down and repaint now with some Dulux Satinwood or after your new vinyl but if you do it beforehand then use some brown paper to mask over the skirtings to protect them, irrespective of how careful your floor fitter says they'll be, floor fitters generally just do not care.

You need to purchase a skirting board ladder so that you can start to fix those issues..

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, it wasn't damage from mopping, it was all there when I got the house, just didn't look as obvious but over time, it seems to have got worse. It is all around the house and I would agree with @freddiemercurystwin, it is just carless floor fitting and some kind of glue.
I recently had LVT fitted all downstairs and got to say, the chap who did it has done a really good job, didn't leave any of that mess behind but that was someone I got in whereas the original floor fitters had to do hundreds of floors as this is a new build estate.

Do you think a mouse sander would be best to sand it down a little? I will get a couple of quotes to re-do the flooring and if I can get it done, I will wait until the new flooring has gone in.

This may not be the case, but a couple of new builds I've been in lately, have had plastic skirting and door architrave - try sanding in an inconspicuous area first, to see how it goes. Or try carefully using a scraper, and seeing if it shifts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back