Slate hearth on engineered hardwood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am planning to have a Stovax woodburner, sitting on an 1800mm wide x 465mm deep x 350mm high steel bench. It will sit on an engineered hardwood floor which will be laid on (glued to) a cement screed. I am considering having a large (1950mm wide x 800mm deep x 30mm thick) slate hearth under the bench. I am assuming the floor will be dead level (the screed is very level, and there will be a latex screed going over the top of the cement screed before the floor goes down), but am concerned that any slight imperfections, coupled to the weight of the woodburner/bench, would result in the slate cracking.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what, if anything (am I worrying unnecessarily?) I should put between the floor and the slate to take up any slight imperfections? My first thought would be some kind of huge silicone mat - the kind of thing you'd use in the kitchen, but the same size as the chunk of slate - if such a thing exists!

Another option would be to have the hearth sitting directly on the screed, and floor up to it. I'd need to rebate the edges of the hearth so the flooring could slip slightly under the edges to hide the ends of the planks - I don't want any "trim" around the hearth where it meets the floor. But I don't think the timings of how everything is happening over the next few weeks will allow this.

I'd welcome any thoughts and suggestions, thanks!

~ Paul

Sponsored Links
I'd bed the hearth onto the concrete using tile adhesive.

Alternatively glue the hearth onto the wood. If it's a glue down floor the adhesive is silicone based and gap filling.

I'd recommend not getting a log burner.

Unless you like the idea of poisoning yourselves and neighbours and don't care if it makes the room colder due to all the ventilation needed.

Do lots of research, there are lots of issues with setting fire to lumps of wood in your house like it's 1824 not 2024. Don't blindly follow fashions. They'll probably be banned in a few years anyway.

Sponsored Links
I grew up with open fires and always wonder why people prefer them to simple, clean gas or electric.

They generally don’t spit embers out onto your floor either - was it sycamore that was notorious for this.

I grew up with open fires and always wonder why people prefer them to simple, clean gas or electric.

Because the gas and electric companies are rinsing us dry with increasingly unaffordable bills.
The oligarchs and shareholders must be kept happy.

Not everything's a conspiracy. Solid fuel of all types are terrible, we learnt the lesson from all the illness and death caused by it decades ago, The Clean Air act banned a lot of it. Then a new generation comes along and decides it's all fine because it looks pretty. Thankfully this daft fashion seems to be coming to an end now, but still many wrongly think it's harmless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back