Slights bowed Frame and pane what should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some oak French doors but in the bay and they are fantastic, however 1 of the uprights bows/bends inwards. This created a crescent gap on the inside and the outer bead was snapped (I think they pushed in the window, fixed it and the window popped out and it snapped)

I rang the company who came round and fixed it, but putting a new bead on, pushing in the window and nailing the bead, so the window bends in.

The measurements we are talking are 1/2mm at the most.
My thoughts are that to fix it, they could have sanded/shaved the frame at top and bottom so they wouldn't have to push in the glass.
Also at some point the bead/nail will give in and the glass will pop back to normal straight.

Below are the images, it is the upright in the outside corner (away from house) on the right
View media item 58409The spirit level is held flat against the frame so the gap at the top is 1/2mm
View media item 58406 View media item 58407 View media item 58408On the window the first is showing the gap (if you can spot with the reflection of the yellow)
View media item 58411The second is me pushing/bend the spirit level so it touches, so you can compare against the above.
View media item 58410
What do you think?
Is the bending of the glass not an issue and I'm being too pedantic?
Or is it an issue that will appear in the future?

Sponsored Links
1mm out?? Absolute cowboys, get them back and start all over again!!!! ;)

Its hard to see from the pic's but the corner post look a bit thin and i would have had the top mullion's over the door posts, the odd small camber over the whole length,'s wouldn't bother me if the structure was right.
who designed the joinery?

Sealed units in themselves are seldom perfectly flat, nature of the beast. Also the wood will move (swell and contract) with the season, 1/2 mm is normal...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the reply

They're a firm in Salford, really good service, nice guys, been down to their workshop, like going to the school CDT, with loads of wood lathes.
I can't fault them at all and would definitely recommend them. Just wanted a second opinion from others who make things out of wood

They said it was fine, I just wasn't sure that bending in the pane and pinning it with the bead and nail was right. Over time it might pop out and causes problems

But if you guys think a small bit or bending is fine, then cool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back