Sloping ceiling

UVB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I live in an 1800s built house with 18" thick solid stone walls and a slate roof. In the bedrooms, there are some sloped areas in the ceiling towards the wall, with lathe and plaster covering the rafters.

I have plenty of metalized insulation in the loft, but the sloped areas have no insulation, which I want to try and remedy. Filing the space between the slope and the tiles with foam probably isn't a good idea because the loft space needs the ventilation. And the alternative solution of removing the lathe and plaster there and replacing it with something more insulating doesn't appeal - I imagine the dust and mess would be a nightmare to deal with.

I thought about using plaster/foam board over the top of the current lathe and plaster, screwing into the rafters to add insulation - but I don't know how successful that might be. And I also thought about using lengths of foil-type insulating sheets pushed down from the loft between the rafters and the slates - but I'm not sure how helpful that would be, if helpful at all. Or maybe doing a drywall thing with foam behind plasterboard.

Not sure what to do, to be honest.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Watch Charlie DIY on YouTube. He uses insulated plasterboard in old property.

I think you can stick with foam and use wedi washers and screws.

Sometimes it's worth paying for advice and a specification for the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back