Small Split in Twin and Eath Outer Sheath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the weekend I was moving a telephone socket, while I doing this I noticed a small spilt in the outer sheath of a nearby the twin and earth cable around the area where the cable was pulled though the timber (in a stud wall), I can see the blue neutral cable within the twin and core, the blue sheath appears not to be damaged. Is this something that I should be considered about, is this against the regs?.

Regards

BBinterS

Sponsored Links
The worry is if the earth is OK. So clearly testing should be done. But to repair where inner insulation is undamaged I would use self amalgamating tape first then standard tape over that ensuring dry before doing repair. If I could get to end of cable would consider shrink sleeve. Depending on where and conditions i.e. dry or damp I may just use some trunking to protect the cable. This sort of job needs assessing on site and there is no real 100% answer but with a photo you are likely to get a better idea of what needs doing.

Sponsored Links
I have uploaded the best image that I could get to: ... Getting a little worried now.
That does look a lot worse than I envisoned when you referred to a 'small split'. The problem is that one really can't tell exactly what is going on within that cable. Even if it tested OK (which doesn't necessarily prove a lot), I must say that I would be very reluctant to just 'cover that up'.

Kind Regards, John

Ok thanks, I am considering cutting the dry lining above the wooden batton, and replacing the 2.5mm cable from just above just above the break, what is the best way to joint the cable?

Ok thanks, I am considering cutting the dry lining above the wooden batton, and replacing the 2.5mm cable from just above just above the break, what is the best way to joint the cable?
I would consider that as making the matter far worse.

Have a look and if none of the conductors is damaged just do as Eric suggested.

I would consider that as making the matter far worse.

Thats is a little tricky, as there is no more slack in the cable to get a better look.

If that could be done, I agree - but I fear that it might not be easy to get a good look at the conductors. As always, without being there, one can but guess.

Kind Regards, John

I have only just noticed the picture and agree it is worse than described.

I am considering cutting the dry lining above the wooden batton, and replacing the 2.5mm cable from just above just above the break, what is the best way to joint the cable?

If that can be done, cannot the cable be pulled up and inspected?

I have only just noticed the picture and agree it is worse than described.

I am considering cutting the dry lining above the wooden batton, and replacing the 2.5mm cable from just above just above the break, what is the best way to joint the cable?

If that can be done, cannot the cable be pulled up and inspected?

I could cut a 1g hole in the plaster board above the batton to inspect, fit a 1g dry line back box then pull the cable through the dry line box. Any thoughts. Put would it be better to cut and joint the cable using some connecter block, or to attempt a repair.

I could cut a 1g hole in the plaster board above the batton to inspect, fit a 1g dry line back box then pull the cable through the dry line box. Any thoughts.
If you mean to join and cover with a blank plate, could you have a socket there?
I don't know the location and you said it was 2.5mm² so I am assuming it is a socket circuit.

If not, carefully cut out a short section, say two inches, of the insulation to inspect the conductors and if they are in an undamaged state then cut a two inch length of insulation from another piece of cable, split it lengthways and put it in place of the missing insulation and thoroughly wrap in self-amalgamating tape.

But would it be better to cut and joint the cable using some connecter block, or to attempt a repair.
You cannot use connector block unless the joint will remain accessible - i.e. in box with blank plate.

Even so, it would be better to use one of THESE as they can be left in the wall.

I could cut a 1g hole in the plaster board above the batton to inspect, fit a 1g dry line back box then pull the cable through the dry line box. Any thoughts.
If you mean to join and cover with a blank plate, could you have a socket there?
I don't know the location and you said it was 2.5mm² so I am assuming it is a socket circuit.

If not, carefully cut out a short section, say two inches, of the insulation to inspect the conductors and if they are in an undamaged state then cut a two inch length of insulation from another piece of cable, split it lengthways and put it in place of the missing insulation and thoroughly wrap in self-amalgamating tape.

But would it be better to cut and joint the cable using some connecter block, or to attempt a repair.
You cannot use connector block unless the joint will remain accessible - i.e. in box with blank plate.

Even so, it would be better to use one of THESE as they can be left in the wall.

Many thanks, yes the cable is part of the ring main. I was planning to install a blank (Also the other ring cable is not looking that great either). Or could I simply break the ring main and install some extra 13a sockets (possibly two single 13a sockets, as this might be easier to install as part of the ring main.) I could do with some extra sockets. Any thoughs.

Thanks for all the help by the way.

I think some little furry-tailed mammal has been having a chew. Is there any sign of loose insulation debris below the defect.

I think some little furry-tailed mammal has been having a chew. Is there any sign of loose insulation debris below the defect.
It does look a bit like that. A more dramatic example, which I initially posted a while ago, is:
The teeth marks look quite similar to the appearance of the OP's cable! The above photo also illustrates the point I made in this thread about testing "not necessarily proving much". For reasons which are fairly obvious, that cable tested as 'fine', but it clearly represents a serious hazard!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back