smell of fish when shower is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i reacently installed a shower its the one where you make a wooden box frame for the shower tray six months ago but its starting to smell of fish bad is there anyone who knows the solution for it and what can be the cause of it. im half way through my level 3 in plumbing and do you have any helpfull tips for the near future for me. thankyou

Sponsored Links
if it is an electric shower, this smell is typical of overheating thermosetting plastic. Unless you have used undersized components, it is most often in the ceiling switch, usually the neutral wire has come loose and is making poor contact. In this case you have to cut away and replace the overheated copper and the charred plastic and replace with new.

JohnD said:
if it is an electric shower, this smell is typical of overheating thermosetting plastic. Unless you have used undersized components, it is most often in the ceiling switch, usually the neutral wire has come loose and is making poor contact. In this case you have to cut away and replace the overheated copper and the charred plastic and replace with new.

Thats exactly what happened when my partner had her shower replaced (by a Corgi engineer who owned the property). He put in a higher rated shower but didnt check the cabling which started to melt.

We tried loads of things thinking it was a leak on the bath but it turned out to be underrated cable which was overheating.

thankyou john for your reply ill have a look it the switch on the ceiling and hopefully thats what'll be and once again thankyou its been worrying for weeks

Sponsored Links
Also check the cable between the shower unit and the fusebox is of the right capacity - if its underrated you risk burning your house down !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back