Smelly, gurgling plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This problem stinks :(

Plumbing gurgles loudly (e.g noises and 'spitting' heard from the kitchen sink when I run water in the bathroom). The water also drains slowly. Plumber I called out tried jetting water up from drain at ground level - he charged me £80 for the privelage and now it really stinks as well :evil: . Someone else suggested refitting the air admittance valve below my bath. Could this be the solution or is it something more sinister? I can't afford to call out any more cowboys....HELP

Sponsored Links
Hi. I had a smiliar problem with water draining from my upstairs shower, with the smell coming out of an unused dishwasher pipe. I put some of that unblocker powder you can buy from any supermarket down the pipe. Left it overnight and now the smell has gone. You can just put it straight down your sink after running hot water down the plughole for a minute or 2, empty the sachet, give it some more hot water (it then bubbles up), leave overnight, then rinse it away.

Worked for me, hopefully it will work for you and it only cost a couple of quid for the sachets.

Good luck.

Sean.

Air ad/valves should be 300mm above the highest waste outlet, usually the bathroom basin,if not a blocked drain etc can exit at this point its to stap air getting out not water. its hard to say what your prob is wiyhout seeing the layout but it sounds as if when you empty a bath its syphoning out the sink wastes ect,is this a recent fault or has it been ok for some time

Sponsored Links
Easiest way to add an air admittance valve is often to swap the trap for a version which has one integral to it. As COG says - a high one!

No harm in trying the unblocker, though be aware that if "air" gets back up past a trap then it will always smell bad.

The other class of drain prob comes when the destination drainage isn't vented so the air gets compressed, and bubbles out through traps - and stinks that way. Birds nests on stack pipes can do that though it takes a wc output to "fill" the pipe with waste water to cause the piston effect.

Does that make sense??!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back