Soaksway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise. Im 73 and Career to sick husband and treating my hair out with the following.

I have lived at the end of four cottage’s since 1997.
At the end of our front path near gate, we have a soakaway. A plastic pipe above ground connected to downpipe/gutter taking roof water down to soakaway. Never had a problem.

We recently had tremendous storms and for the first time ever, the water was not clearing, flooded front path and entered front door.

I contacted Council who stated that there should be outlets in the Kerb outside? After searching found 3 which were blocked by debris. Waiting on another heavy rainfall to see if this sorts the problem. BUT ! …
In trying to sort the problem and taking a bigger view, I found that none of the other cottages had downpipes but all their guttering connected to ours.
I have tried speaking to neighbours, only one todate has agreed we meet and try to solve problem, however, their house is on the market? My immediate neighbour also informed me he’s selling.
Council say it’s nothing to do with them. But the drainage pipes out to kerb, running under pavement, is also not their problem but mine !
I thought the pavement would be Council owned? Mentioned that if they are blocked, I have to call a competent drainage company to rinse them through!

So:-
1. Am I alone in sorting and paying for all this work as the soakaway is in my path?

2. Is there any legal reason that the neighbours should have their own soakaway?

3. As neighbours seeking/moving, should these questions be notified to prospective buyers.

Many thanks
Lynne

Sponsored Links
Error in my question above.
Apologies. Carer to husband and tearing my hair out

Hi Lynne, welcome to the forum

Unfortunately old soakaways which are really just a pile of hardcore, do get silted up and they stop being able to clear the heavy storm rain we get these days

Maybe one of the professional drain guys on here will be able to provide some advice on this matter

Hopefully now the storm drain gulleys in the road have been cleared, the excess water will clear fast enough so it doesn’t reach your front door.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid you're not going to like this. There's a thread which has similarities to your question:

One of the replies in that thread says that it's really up to what your (and your neighbours) deeds say. In that thread the deeds probably mean that the OP is lumbered.
Unfortunately it could mean taking legal advice.

Back