Soffit and porch ceiling replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all – the bungalow I live in is about 30 years old now (I’ve only been here 7, so don’t know all the history), and some things are of course starting to deteriorate – in this case soffits and things.

The soffits actually mostly seem OK, but some are starting to go at the ends, so I’d like to replace some sections.

Don’t know what it’s like on the mainland these days, but here in NI you can’t get trades out for love nor money, unless it’s a big job like replacing your entire roof or something – even then the wait can be like the NHS o_O

So, as always, totally unqualified me might have a go.

Mine are made of plywood – would it be something like ¼” marine? If so, do you think I could just pull the rotten section out, and stick a new one in? I can’t see any nail heads or anything, but I’m assuming they’re just nailed onto battens above?

I’m guessing it still comes only in big sheets, which ham-fisted me would have to cut into strips to fit…

I’ve asked a local company to quote for replacing the lot, but as bungalows have a lot of soffit, I'm not expecting to be able to afford it…

20240927_110250.jpg

Second question – this kind of ceiling bit in my porch is starting to rot – don’t know why, as it seems dry, but there you are. I’m seriously worried about opening a can of worms if I try and pull it all down and replace it – but, if I did, what would I replace it with?

20240927_110316.jpg

I wondered if something in plastic might be available? But although the pic doesn't show it, it’s L-shaped, and would have to be cut precisely to fit.

If wood, can you get some kind of T&G like what you see there now?

Any major problems I should foresee?

Thanks everybody :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Soffits and Fascia can be obtained in plastic.
It comes in a variety of widths, and can be cut with a wood saw.

Joint pieces, etc are available.

T&G boards are available in plastic for the ceiling. I would suspect the current wooden boards are rotten due to a roof leak, and you should check that out.

Your under soffit boards sit on a ledge on the brick and then in a lip on the facia - see the photo of the UPVC version you will see the section at the bottom where the soffit fits. Sometimes the brick end is held down from inside with a wood noggin. Or its sort of wedged by the rafters at that point.
As its a bungalow depending on your DIY skills and tools you should be able to DIY this. It involves pushing back the last row of tiles, removing the soffit and facia with the gutter then installing felt trays probably. The facia and soffit comes in different sizes but you may have to cut them down.
Rather than screwfix it is cheaper to go to a local building plastics supplier.
I dont think its worth just replacing the rotten bits - they are a sign that the rest is not far behind.
I would wait until the summer months now though.
facia.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back