Softwood stripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, summerhouse was not treated properly so want to strip back and start again.
What's the easiest way to remove Osmos oil from softwood?
Scrapping and sanding is taking forever. Sandpaper just gets clogged up very quickly.
Is there a chemical stripper or something similar like sand blasting etc.
All my fault but want to rectify so your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its started to have black spot and fail so want to remove, treat the mold and then sand back and start it all again and do it properly.

I have used Methyl Chloride strippers to remove products such as danish oil from worktops in the past. I have never used it to specifically remove OSMO though.

It was the active ingredient in the old skool paint strippers but became a restricted item because of concerns about it being carcinogenic.

IIRC correctly it is a trade only item and the minimum unit size is 5L. At one point you could purchase smaller quantities via sites such as ebay- but I think that they may have clamped down on that over the last few years. It is still used regularly by metal working shops as a degreaser.

If you want to sand it back, I would recommend 80 grit on a random orbit sander, preferably connected to a vacuum (to suck the sanded finish away and reduce the sandpaper clogging).

If you are sanding by hand, stick with 60-80 grit paper. Then finish with 120 grit. Unfortunately not all sandpapers are created equal, some will clog faster than others. Equally some (read: many become blunt faster than others). My local decorators' merchant (Leyland SDM) sell the yellow Mirka Hiomant- it is awful. The same manufacturer does however make some excellent abrasives, such as

The grit stays sharper for longer and it is less prone to clogging.

Edit- the paper does however smell like cat pee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back