Solar mounts on an EPDM flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking to install solar mounts on an EPDM flat garage roof. Because I want to install my PV panels flat, I’ve decided to go with L brackets that have EPDM gaskets and screws with EPDM washers. Rails will be fixed to these brackets. I’m wondering if it makes sense to add additional sealant, like CT1 or something similar, between the roof membrane, gasket, and bracket, or if it’s sufficient to just bolt them as they are. I’ve tested both solutions for the past three weeks, and they both performed well. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
In my case I have a GRP roof and no way did I want to pierce it and invalidate the warranty so I used ballasted mounting instead.

I now that some campervans just have these glued on the roof so may be an option as long as it won't react to the rubber.

Are all walls on the garage seen?

In my case I have a GRP roof and no way did I want to pierce it and invalidate the warranty so I used ballasted mounting instead.
I have the same concern, but I prefer a flat installation and believe that fixing the brackets will give me better peace of mind in windy weather.

Sponsored Links
I now that some campervans just have these glued on the roof so may be an option as long as it won't react to the rubber.

Are all walls on the garage seen?
Yes, it’s a detached garage.

You can calculate wind load here then subtract your panel and mounting structure weight to find required ballast, then check your garage roof structure is capable of supporting that weight all quite simple. Flat panels will loose a lot compared to even a moderate slope of 10-15degrees that is possible and still be within PD limits of 500mm projection AIRC with care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back