Solar Panel Isolation / Short Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a typical solar panel installation, where would you expect find the first instance of short circuit protection for the panel?

Is there normally something on the panels themselves or would the first point be at/near the inverter?

Sponsored Links
I believe some setups have fuses for the individual panels to protect against catastrophic failure of the panels themselves.

AIUI overload or short circuit protection for the DC feed wiring from panels to inverter is pointless because the short circuit current is barely more than the normal operating current.

Sponsored Links
Interesting, so if you were to short out the live/neutral directly from a panel nothing too exciting would happen?

I know very little about solar installations, or what voltage/current they produce typically.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm talking about one that might be installed on a commercial building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back