solder fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys,

im not very experienced with this but have done it a couple of times. today though i was using yorkshire fittings and when heating i could see the ring of solder coming through but I was trying to add just a little extra from my reel but the reel would not melt? Little confused here as it was obviously hot enough for the fitting but not the reel?

And afterwards, I noticed the pipe kind of had a rusty look to it around where I had been soldered. Everything was very clean before i started.

as i say im not very experienced with this but so far all looks OK, should i be worried?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Why add more solder to a Yorkshire fitting in the fist place. The manufacturers put enough solder in there to do the job perfectly for every sized fitting. Your solder must have a different melting point. The
discolouration is more than likely overheating.
Clean the pipe and fitting and apply flux to the pipe only and apply heat, As soon as you see the solder appearing out of the fitting and once the joint has cooled, clean off any surface flux and you should have a perfect joint.

Yorkshire are so ugly. If your going to add solder, just buy end feed at a fraction of the price.

The appearance of the fittings is not in doubt, just the method he was using in making the joint.

Sponsored Links
Will add heat the fitting evenly and dont just make sure you see solder ,make sure you see it all around the fitting .

Alot of people add some more solder to a yorkshire fitting just to cap it off, I'm a tight get and never buy yorkshiree fittings though! :p

When using the blowlamp you should keep the flame moving all the time so you are not letting one part of joint get too hot. You will first see the flux melt and a few seconds later the rings of solder should appear at the edges of the fitting. Take the flame away and have a good look to see if the rings go all the way round. If there are areas with no solder visible, apply the flame again and if you still don't get complete rings of solder you can use your reel of solder. It won't hurt to poke the end of the solder in the flux tin before you apply it to the joint as a bit of extra flux may help at that stage. The excess flux should be removed with a damp cloth when the joint is cool enough otherwise it will stain the copper.

rotfl4.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back