Sorting Screws

42 mm screw - does it go in the 40 draw or the 45 draw?

• 40mm

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 45mm

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a range of drawers that we have marked as ...35, 40, 45, 50 and so on. for keeping screws in.

So if you have a screw of 42mm, would you put that in the 40 or 45 draw ?

I would have always put it in the 45 draw (40mm should be the max length for the 40 draw), but other are arguing that it should be the other way and go in the 40 draw.

In reality folk just bung screws into any draw and it is all a chaotic mess, but just out of curiosity which one would you go for.

Sponsored Links
Put the 42s in the 45 drawer - nothing worse than driving a "40mm" screw into a workpiece only to find it has started to come through and left a "bleb" in the veneer or laminate. Too short you can live with - too long you can't

I was going to post the same thing as JobandKnock. It is far too easy to pick up a 42mm thinking that it was a 40mm. if you pick up a 42 instead of a 45, it is unlikely to create a problem.

For it to be 42mm, does that mean it is an imperial screw? If yes, I would put it in a separate area given that it will be a different diameter to your other screws. I recently painted some side hung windows. The fitters had used the longest screws possible but had cammed out the screw heads. I soon released that my metric "equivalent" screws were slightly too thin. I had to order imperial screws from Orbital Fasteners.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nobody can be arsed to read the 40 or 45, an "Up To" would just coplicate the matter, and an Imperial section would blow their minds (let alone the length of a pan head and measuring just the shank) - LOL

I am just more curious how others would view it, a screw that is too long is more likely to do visible damage so for me it has to be "up to", but others I know would prefer the other, which just seems wrong to me.

The idea of a sorted screw collection is just a pure fantasy for me. The reality is a load of empty compartmentalised storage trays, a massive, ever growing tub of mixed up screws, and buying new boxes of the correct length and gauge for each job with the surplus going into the tub pending the great sort out!

Add the lifetimes collection of slotted screws and imperial nuts and bolts recently inherited from my Dad and I don't stand a chance!

i would just find a box thats different to differentiate them from your normal screws then use them up on random tasks so you dont have to think about mistaken use as others have said as any 7/8" timber screwed to 7/8" gives you 1.75" or 44.45mm so too tight for 42mm but perfect for 40mm

The idea of a sorted screw collection is just a pure fantasy for me. The reality is a load of empty compartmentalised storage trays, a massive, ever growing tub of mixed up screws, and buying new boxes of the correct length and gauge for each job with the surplus going into the tub pending the great sort out!
My understanding is that the OP works in the trades, as do I, and anyone using screws in volume (trade or otherwise) simply can't afford to pick up a screw and drive it in and have it come through the other side :mad:. It's not too bad if it's just a timber frame which will be getting buried under plasterboard or the like :(, or maybe even MDF, where you can often get away with filling and sanding :rolleyes:, but if you hit the back of a laminate facing and raise a "bleb" it can be a very costly mistake indeed :confused:. I've become so paranoid about it, and the fact that some manufacturers seemingly routinely put a wrong screw or two in every third box, that on finish quality work (like kitchens) I invariably empty the screws onto the bench, sort out any outliers and put the rest into a compartment in one of my sorter boxes. The first time you wreck a decor panel and have to replace it out of your own pocket is generally the last! :censored:

Oh, and if I do end up with a couple of odd screws from a manufacturer which I won't be buying (or more likely being supplied with) again - they go in the metal recycling bin

PUt all the wcres that do not fit the drawer description in a big bucket marked "Assorted Screws" :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back