Sorting this eyesore of garden wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20240703_083847.jpg

Years ago, master builder neighbour (RIP) built another skin against my wall, on his side and soldiered across the top.

Before he passed, he admitted he should have done it better.

In the past I tried rendering it and this all blew, painted it and this peeled off as can be seen.

Bricks are spalling as I believe water is getting in from the top and freezing during winter.

Now I want to get it sorted once and for all.

Considering coping stones along the top or a coloured render that's waterproof for top and down my face of the wall.
Want to render the face either way with a K-rend type product.

If rendering the top, how would I deal with the neighbours side to create a drip edge and obviously not get involved with rendering their side or causing problems on their side?

Would appreciate any tips and/or advice.

Many thanks,
D

Sponsored Links
Is it damp getting in from above, or also damp from (each) face/side so the bricks cant breathe. And will tanking it solve that. Id look into creating a gap, and boarding then painting or rendering the whole wall face. If your convinced it's the top then what you suggest should work provided the wall has had a chance to fully dry out first.

Is it damp getting in from above, or also damp from (each) face/side so the bricks cant breathe

Not sure really.
I've left it for years after first having it rendered (which failed).

How would I discern this?
I guess waterproofing my face side would stop ingress from there but, as you say, if it's entering from their face it could undo any work I get done!

If your convinced it's the top then what you suggest should work provided the wall has had a chance to fully dry out first.

Would capping the top and leaving for a while, allow the wall to dry out?

Sponsored Links
Vertical timber battens to create a vented cavity, then fit a carrier board with render over. With some thoughtful detailing you could achieve a capping on top of the wall too.

Would capping the top and leaving for a while, allow the wall to dry out?
In theory yes provided the brick was clear of paint. But as said in my post, and above, consider battening it out

Depending how safe the brickwork is, i'd just remove the paint and arrange trellis across the wall for climbing plants to cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back