Spalling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if anyone could advise on options for reparing a few spalling bricks. They are not external, so are not exposed to rain - they are in the coal shed underneath the stairs - so it is an unheated space but nonetheless, not exposed to the elements. I dont know what caused it or how many years ago it might have happened. The bricks under the stairs dont look damp. Its an old 30s house and the bricks used in the coal shed are all a bit rough and mishapen compared to the external ones, could it be that a few were defects and more susceptible to spalling?

Also, can condensation cause spalling? Given there is only a wooden door keeping the cold out, it would have at times got very cold in there.

If I got someone to remove the bricks that would cause a load of mess in the house as its a single wall and the other side is the plastered hallway, so thats not straightforward.

One more question, I get the impression from reading online that its not advisable to for example, put mortar over the face of them or cement as it can make things worse - I presume in terms of trapping moisture again behind the mortar, but is that relevant if the bricks are not external i.e. there is no rain or snow that can get to them. I ask because ive brushed all the soft blown crumbly dust off back to hard brick so I could repair the face with something.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could be damp
Could be lack of air movement.
Pays to get someone in to advise and get a spec to fix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back