Split Pergola posts and Post protector wrap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve put up my pergola posts and down one side they are in what will be the lawn, set in concrete (postcrete specifically). I’ve bought some post protector wraps to go round the part of the post that will be in soil to protect from rot, but some of the posts have split since I set them, one specifically with a big split down near the base.

I think I’m over the trauma of the actual split to the posts, which I guess is just one of those things, but this one I’m worried about wrapping the bottom of the post, rainwater getting into the crack and because of the wrap, the water having nowhere to go and making the potential for rot even worse.

Photo of the post linked.

any ideas or thoughts welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_9919.jpeg
    IMG_9919.jpeg
    681.7 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
This should be the right timber to use? Or have I done something wrong?

I was thinking of filling the crack with clear silicone to stop it filling with rain water, or possibly a colour matched one as the clear one would go cloudy in time…?

Sponsored Links
its fine do not fill it and allow it to drain
if your not happy with the post find another without movement or rotate the split out off sight
timber like that has no loss off strength across the timber and perhaps 5% along the length well within the 20 to 40% redundancy with timber in general

if they are concreted in like i now think they are by reading again ----again do not fill --do nothing ---and enjoy and iff in about 7 years it needs attention then take it from there

Last edited:
its fine do not fill it and allow it to drain
if your not happy with the post find another without movement or rotate the split out off sight
timber like that has no loss off strength across the timber and perhaps 5% along the length well within the 20 to 40% redundancy with timber in general
I can’t do much about it now - the whole thing is built including all the top joists and its concreted in.

as my correction above says dont worry it will be fine just dont fill the cracks to allow the wood to breath :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back