Spluttering taps & low water pressure from taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our boiler turned off by a joiner during some work in the bathroom. Now we have the following problems:

1. Air spluttering out of the hot water tap in the bath.
2. Lack of hot water pressure in the shower, sometimes other taps too.

The problem seems to improve if we run the taps for a while in sequence. It also possibly improves when we put on the heating (although the jury's still out on that one!)

Anyone got any ideas what it might be and what we can do to fix it please?

Sponsored Links
You have a airlock.Make sure the ballcock in your cold water storage is okay,possibly the ballcock got struck and when the water tank empty,air got in creating a airlock.You need to get a water main pressure back up to the hot tap with a hose somehow and force the air out into the tank.If it a bath/shower mixer,I have made a connection on the shower pipe outlet with a garden hose & turn the shower lever to shower position and open up the hot tap with the cold tap shut and turn on the water main on which will push the air back out of the storage tank.This way you don't get wet !! Don't do it for too long as the water level will overfill out the overflow.

Had similar problem in a house I rented a few years back, I put a hose from hot to cold tap on sink and opened both up, cold water pressure forced air lock out of the system. Suggest you use lowest faucets in the house. This advice given to me by a plumber.

Scoby

Thanks for your replies...I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. I'll have to go for the second option as we live in a third floor flat and there won't be a garden hosepipe that we can use.

If the boiler explodes I'll know who to blame. ;)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you have a bath mixer type you can wrap some towel on hot & cold tap then open the hot tap first then cold tap so it can bypass up the hot feed.You might need your swimming trunk!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back