Spotlights wired in a Junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 spotlights in the kitchen (and the same in the bathroom) they are wired into a round 5A type junction box, so there are a total of 6 wires into each JB

1 wire live

1 wire switched live

4 wires to the spotlights (all coming out of the same hole in the JB)

Are there too many wires in a 5A junction box?

Sponsored Links
I have 4 spotlights in the kitchen (and the same in the bathroom) they are wired into a round 6A type junction box, so there are a total of 6 wires into each JB
Do you mean wires or cables?

1 wire live

1 wire switched live

4 wires to the spotlights (all coming out of the same hole in the JB)
That doesn't really add up.

Are there too many wires in a 6a junction box?
Not if they fit satisfactorily.

Sounds more like six cables, feed in, switch loop and four switched feeds.

Sorry cables, not wires

Bathroom is twin+E light circuit, twin+E to pull switch and 4 two core cables to the spot lights

Kitchen is 6 cables, look like two core flex wired over the kitchen cupboards, with a switch under the cupboard

It just seems like a lot of cables in one JB?

Sponsored Links
Are there too many wires in a 5A junction box?
OK. Let me spot the regulations contravention possibilities..

1. The round JB boxes that I have are stamped with the terminal capacities. One here says 2x1.5mm², another says 3x1.5mm². So it depends on the cable size. If the terminal capacity is exceeded then it is against the manufacturer's instructions. these we are told must be taken into account blah blah...

2. Those screw terminals must be accessible. I guess your JB's are available through the downlight hole(s)? If they aren't accessible then screw terminals are not permitted.

3. Those JBs do not have any cable retention or similar clamps. They are designed to be screwed to something solid, and the cables cleated - again to something solid. If they are just floating around then that's not compliant.

4. All cable sheaths must enter the box. You must not be able to see any of the inner cables outside the box. They should be like this. I'll bet they aren't!
b4f8c-junction-box-tr1.jpg

What we'd really like is a photo of the inside of one of those boxes. We just LOVE pictures.

No they don't look like that, but they are accessible, the kitchen ones are on the top of the cupboards

And they are wired in multi-core cable

They have been there 15+ years so is it best just to leave alone?

A photo always helps explain more in situations like this.

Your last comment is probably correct, leave them be, it's too late for them to comply now without redoing them all.

I had the consumer unit replaced a few years ago, I did mention it to the electrician, he wasn’t overly bothered. Especially when I told him it was in the loft!

He said the kitchen spotlights are not part of the wiring as it was connected to a 3 pin plug

he said they all look cr@p with the round JB's

That sounds like a silly statement if that is what he said.
He might have said they are not part of the fixed wiring but woulda been wrong on that count too.
If it`s fixed in position and it`s wiring then it is fixed wiring irrespective of whether the is a plug and socket or a switch to break the connection.
It is not fixed wiring if it is on a appliance and not held in place by clips etc.

An extension lead for temporary use is not fixed wiring, if its fixed in place then it is fixed wiring.

An extension lead left in place for 100 years can not really be discounted as fixed wiring either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back