Spur off socket with own breaker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a double socket which is wired directly to the MCB. I want to put another socket about 6 feet away. Can I just spur off this? Have attached picture to give an idea of what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_4872.jpeg
    IMG_4872.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you. It won’t have a big load on it, just a plug in air freshener or some fairy lights

It's not really a spur, it's a radial circuit. Currently a very small one.

Is it in a garage or something?

No, it’s just a double socket in the kitchen which has the small chest freezer plugged into it. The kitchen electrics are on a different breaker.

Assuming it is a B16 with RCD protection then no problem, I would guess originally supply to an immersion heater, I know my last house there was a kitchen switch for the immersion which when immersion removed was made into a socket, however this house also has a supply for the freezers, which is very different, as it comes from the solar panel inverter, and is an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and the current draw is limited to 3 kW even when the MCB is rated higher.

Some houses have an independent circuit for the freezer, so it will not be affected if the general sockets go off, especially if it is not on the same RCD, but occasionally useful if they are isolated for maintenance or decorating.

I do, but I have RCBOs which are even better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back