spurs, final frontier?

tss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Sirs,

My first time in and very interesting,

A question - I moved into a very old house and the wiring was extremely old. The lighting circuit in the loft was extremly old and damaged - old brown and rubber stuff!

The lighting cicuit in the loft is fed by 1 x 2.5 mm cable which then has numerous junciton boxes ( circular 4 in 4 out ) which in turn feed the lights in the 5 rooms.

Looking at your comments on spurring - does this come into play here or is this much lower risk as there only lights and not sockets on the cable ?

Would appreciate some input

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you have as you say, i would recomend you get the whole house rewired, if that is the state of the cables you can see, what is the state of those you cant?

it may "cost a bit" but look at it this way, it should last 25 years, so what ids a grand or two over 25 years, and knowing your house is electricaly sound

Sounds like the old junction-box lighting topography rather than loop-in.

Nothing wrong with it.

Unlike the cables themselves. Do not disturb them - the insulation may be OK until you do that, at which point it might disintegrate.

This is a Bad Thing.

It all needs inspecting, and (almost certainly) replacing. Even if the insulation is OK (my 30-40 year old stuff was when I ripped it all out :mad: ), there will be all sorts of other areas where your installation is not up to scratch.

Unless you are confident that you know what you are doing, I would suggest you get an electrician in. Have a careful look at some of the other wiring, e.g. to the CU, behind a few light switches and sockets. If it's all rubber, then don't bother paying for an inspection - the recommendation is such a foregone conclusion that you might as well put that money towards the cost of rewiring.

Should have got the seller to provide you with a PIR before you bought - you might have got a few grand off the price.... :evil:

e.g. to the CU, behind ban-all-sheds, means consumers unit (thing with fuses /mcbs (little switches) where you turn mains off, (sorry if you knew that)

Sponsored Links
Hey Guys, something we will all agree 100% on ...

Who said miracles don't happen :D

Dear Chaps,

thanks for the reply - Must say did not expect to get any answers - but thanks.

Let me expand a bit - The wiring was as described but replaced as is...that is the old was replaced with a new feed and then existing junction boxes replaced with new ones and new lights fitted by myself ...but then got a sparks to fit a new consumer unit and replace the other dubious rubber and brown.

It was the comments about the spurs that confused me - the wires and boxes in the loft are new - so this should be okay ? only lights runs from them no sockets. :?:

You are correct - it did cost me a packet to get the main wiring sorted - but peace of mind is worth it. Did most prep work and discovery of very dodgy wiring myself so saved quite a lot of ££££.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back