Standing Water on New Patio, trade company AWOL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

In Feb this year I had a new patio laid. Everything seemed fine at the time and paid as was happy with the job. Now summer is (finally) starting, the kids have played in the paddling pool on the patio and I've noticed I'm getting standing water, two sections of which are right up against the house, under the sliding door. There's also about an inch-deep puddle in the centre of the patio.

Naturally I went to contact the company that laid them, but I think they've closed down; their contact numbers don't ring, it just goes straight to a voicemail, where I've left several messages. I've emailed several times with photos and my number, no response. There's no new reviews on their website or Google, no new posts on Facebook. The only contact I've established is calling the managing director on Whatsapp, who initially gave me the quote and was at the job site each day. He said he's not working at the moment but will pass it on.

Now, I've got a suspicion I'm being played for a fool and the company has been liquidised. If that's the case, what are my options here for getting this fixed? Can patio slabs be lifted by another company if they didn't fit them? Or a drain fitted? Some pictures attached. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240617_170331.jpg
    20240617_170331.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20240617_170337.jpg
    20240617_170337.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20240617_170326.jpg
    20240617_170326.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
They are individual blocks. They should be sitting on sand and therefore easy to lift.

It may be the case that they just need more sand to raise them up, however, I have no way of knowing if the original firm used sufficient hardcore before laying them- by that, I mean that they may have sunk down over time.

Hopefully, someone here can recommend a decent firm.

The fact that they have a director means that they should be listed with Companies House. You can go there and search for the director by name, it will then tell you if the company is still trading.

If they charged you VAT, you can check to see if they really were VAT registered.

Hello opps, thanks very much for your reply and info.

Regarding how they were laid, the below is taken from the invoice. I'm afraid a lot of the terminology is lost on me but might be able to provide some insight:

"Stage 1: The existing patio & front step to be dug down to the original sub-base (approximately 40m2 ) providing this depth is appropriate, otherwise this will taken down to approximately 250mm, Also to raise the levels by installing kerbs & remove any unwanted vegetatio
Stage 2: A breathable plantex membrane, with cross-hatched fibres, is laid. this provides an effective solution to the problem of constructing a stable granular layer, over soft foundation soils. When stone is placed directly on a soft sub- grade. The imposed load often causes intermixing of two layers. This results in contamination of the stone layer, and a resulting loss in bearing strength, surface rutting and deformation at the sub-base/subgrade interface.
Stage 3: A layer, of course boulder aggregate, is laid which stabilises the ground.
Stage 4: A finer (type1) grade aggregate, is laid to further stabilises, and smoothens the base.
Stage 5: To supply and install drainage systems where necessary.
Stage 6: To supply and install new 50ml omega paving to prepared area ( customers choice of colour pattern & design).
Stage 7: To compact patio and seal joints with kiln-dried sand."

I will look again both of those links also.

Sponsored Links
Back