Steel column base plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if I can build over the base plate on a steel column which is bolted to foundations? Would it need a lintel or just motor and block work? any help would be great. I do know this needs to be painted with high build bitumen paint as well.
the picture below shows the columns in place, blue lines shows the cavity walls.

PXL_20240901_120724472~2.jpg

Sponsored Links
plenty of base plates are filled over for floors, just need to protect the steels / fixings from chemical attack. As for lintel its more a question of clearing the threads in the easiest manner, you could just cast in situ.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, I'm not sure I understand how to leave them in a pocket, was going to build over them, once painted with the high build bitumen paint, with the mortar, so I have a continued cavity wall to build up the timber walls, from dbm, and for the floor hangers! if that makes sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back