Steep staircase - can it be improved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I’m looking at buying a property. It is an older property & has an extremely steep staircase with shallow steps & reduced head height. I’m wondering if it is possible to adjust the stairs & landing enough to make the stairs safer.
I believe I could loose some of the landing to increase head height but would really like to decrease angle & increase step tread depth if possible.

I’ve attached a photo & below are some measurements (all approximate):
  • Current stair angle: 50.9 degrees
  • Staircase width: 75cm
  • Ceiling height 248cm
  • Estimated height from stair landing to floor 268cm
  • Landing at top of stairs to next room 80cm
  • Landing space to next room (over stairs) 108cm
  • Space to wall at bottom of stairs 60cm (behind this wall is cupboard space of 40cm)
  • Stair tread risers (height) 20cm
  • Stair goings (depth) 18cm
  • There are 12 individual steps in current staircase
  • Head height is 160cm at step 5 (from bottom of staircase)
  • Due to ground floor layout it would be possible to have a winder at the bottom
Thanks!!
NB: I know changes to this staircase will fail to meet UK building staircase standards however due to building age as long as it is an improvement in function it is acceptable.

Attachments

• IMG_2969-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2969-compressed.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Need some plans, ground & first floor with dimensions to see if it can be improved. Can't tell from the given info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back