Storage heater elements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody tell me approx what reading I should get across the element (ohms) using a multimeter or are these better tested using a meggar. (If thats how you spell it)

Thank you

Sponsored Links
depends how big they are. but you should get a reading not infinity

P=V^2/R

so

PR=V^2
R=V^2/P
however if you have multiple elements in your heater

R=V^2/(P/N) where R is the resistance of an element P is the power rating of your heater V is the voltage rating of your heater and N is the number of elements in the heater

Thanks all

The readings were 66ohms +/-0.4 over the 3 elements.

Problem was the heater was not very hot when at the usual setting, so I have swapped thermostats with another heater and after a 1 hr boost the fault would appear to be in the other heater now. So new thermostat needed me thinks.

Sponsored Links
using a multimeter or are these better tested using a meggar.
Close, it's Megger (name of one of the most common testers).

You use a standard meter to measure resistance. However, if you want to test the insulation of something- for example the impedance to earth (should be a very high reading) then you use a Megger.

The reason is that the megger puts about 500v across the item under test in order to stress it. That's why you have to be careful where you use them. There are many who have made the mistake of meggering a piece of electronics and then wondering why it doesn't work any more.

IanDB said:
There are many who have made the mistake of meggering a piece of electronics and then wondering why it doesn't work any more.
What about meggering apprentices?

ban-all-sheds said:
IanDB said:
There are many who have made the mistake of meggering a piece of electronics and then wondering why it doesn't work any more.
What about meggering apprentices?

You megger apprentices to make them work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back