Strange banded damp wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to figure this out for quite a while. I have had an issue where my internal wall to a cupboard is quite damp but no other external walls are.
Underneath the skirting board seems to be crumbling and there are quite deep holes in the wall.

It looks like the outside of the wall is completely wet and might be tracking down from above.

The freeholder is recommending airbricks, implying this is a condensation issue but I don't think condensation would cause this outside banding. Other contractors have also suggested water ingress but I wonder why it creates such a wide range pattern.

The last thing to note is this banding does not continue onto the extension building making me think this could be tracking down from above.

I would really appreciate any advice / anyone who has had similar issues before.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 13.49.04.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 13.49.04.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 55
  • damp-internal-wall-1.jpg
    damp-internal-wall-1.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 60
  • damp-under-floor-boards.jpg
    damp-under-floor-boards.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Single skin wall looking at brick pattern picture?

Need to use lime plaster and breathable paints so you don't trap moisture

Yes that’s right. It’s just one set of bricks, no cavity. Do you think an air brick would help in this case? Does this explain the external wet wall too?

You need to get a damp company in to survey. Take it from there

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back