Strange happenings

jit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my house, sometimes when you turn a switch on, there is a delayed reaction (i.e. light doesn't come on) for a number of seconds. This is very odd.

We also go through lightbulbs at a disturbing rate. Not sure if these are connected.

Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
Incandescent light bulbs.

The effect is most noticed on a dimmer switch light (maybe can be put down to Thyristors?). However, it has also been seen on the power switch to my shower, which is on the ring main (don't worry it's only power to the pump, not power to an electrically heated shower).

Are you at the end of a row of houses?

Perhaps it just takes the electricity a while to reach you.

Sponsored Links
many thanks for such helpful comments

If the switches are quite old they are stiff perhaps?

Pullcord switches are especially prone to jamming up and taking a second or two to make contact.

Try using a new switch on one of the rooms. If that totally sorts the problem, try changing other switches.

Before that, it might even be worth just taking each one off in turn and checking the wires are in properly and the screws are done up tight, same with the ceiling roses. I doubt this would be to blame but it can't hurt to try. Obviously isolate the circuit first!

Switches can be stiff with age, or sometimes they offer less resistance.....

Does this happen with all lights? Does it happen on any other circuit?

For some reason, the phenomenon has stopped. Very strange. Here's hoping the house doesn't burn down.

Btw, all switches are less than 4 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back