Strange kind of switch

Gee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour had recently returned from hols on the continent and had used launderette services which had 13 amp sockets with a slow release button on them. The idea being that you would put your iron into the socket push the button and get about 15mins ironing done before power to the iron was tripped. Does anyone know where I may purchase one of these sort of sockets. Thanks

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:

so he can have one?

never heard of them here in the UK, and to get them from abroad is not a good idea as they may (probably) not comply to our standards

breezer said:
ban-all-sheds said:

so he can have one?

never heard of them here in the UK, and to get them from abroad is not a good idea as they may (probably) not comply to our standards

It all makes sense. She has what she calls her sewing room and constantly leaves her iron on, packs bags and goes off on hols. I have seen same idea but with lighting. Screwfix has these for about £14.00. Thanks anyway. G. P.S. Luv yer quotes.

Sponsored Links
Gee said:
She has what she calls her sewing room and constantly leaves her iron on, packs bags and goes off on hols

how many times a year would she do that!?

andrew2022 said:
Gee said:
She has what she calls her sewing room and constantly leaves her iron on, packs bags and goes off on hols

how many times a year would she do that!?

Quite a few! However, the point is she is always forgeting about the iron left on and had the idea of putting on this special socket so that when she forgets it will switch itself off.

You can get time-lag switches but I think the highest rating is 10A. I live on my own so obviously don't iron anything and don't know the rating of an iron.

i dont use an iron either but i dont think it would be 10amps

You could wire the switch back to a 10A mcb if you had a spare way. A lot of work, but may be worth it to get her to go away so often?

plugwash:
or just a FCU with a 10A fuse
I learn something everyday. I really didn't know you could buy a 10A fuse and don't mind admitting it. I've never noticed them in Wickes; I thought you could only get 3 or 13.
Thanks plugwash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back