Strange noise from double check valve (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post here. I have just installed a new water mains to the house. As soon as it enters the house I have stop tap reducing the 25mm mdpe to 15mm copper. I have fitted a double check valve straight after the stop tap followed by a drain tap and then connecting to the existing plumbing.

As soon as the water stops, ie the toilet finishes filling or a tap turned off I get an awful sucking noise coming from the double check valve. I have removed the valve and I can confirm this is what’s creating the noise.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Attachments

• FF78B7A8-904F-4B5E-BAA4-250C00F345F6.jpeg
    FF78B7A8-904F-4B5E-BAA4-250C00F345F6.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
Hi all,

First post here. I have just installed a new water mains to the house. As soon as it enters the house I have stop tap reducing the 25mm mdpe to 15mm copper. I have fitted a double check valve straight after the stop tap followed by a drain tap and then connecting to the existing plumbing.

As soon as the water stops, ie the toilet finishes filling or a tap turned off I get an awful sucking noise coming from the double check valve. I have removed the valve and I can confirm this is what’s creating the noise.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Attachments

• 9813E16D-5689-4400-8BB6-04381B48D739.jpeg
    9813E16D-5689-4400-8BB6-04381B48D739.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 21
Its the noise from the water trying to get through from the main while the valve is closing: at the same time water in the system is trying to backflow. Maybe reduce the inlet pressure somehow, or move the check valve further away if that's possible

Thanks for the reply, That makes sense. There isn’t much space to run the valve further away as it t’s off straight away for the bath and sink. The system originally had a check valve outside on the mdpe pipe after the external stop tap. I may add it back with a 25mm one. I was trying to reduce connections and valves underground.

I have attached a video just to show the noise. It’s the toilet filling and you can Hear the noise at the end of the video

Sponsored Links
Thats very noisy from the start, with no NRV installed is it still noisy from the start?.

I may add it back with a 25mm one. I was trying to reduce connections and valves underground.
You could try replacing the new 15mm NRV with a 22mm one, using some 22 to 15mm compression reducers?
I have used the same for my outside tap, and I believe it helps improve the flow rate (and reduce noise), over a 15mm one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back