Strange problem with computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a really strange problem with my computer. Occasionally when I turn it on, before it actually starts up, the power goes and I can't turn it on. First of all I thought I had blown a fuse, when I replced the fuse it was OK. Now it looks like I don't actually need to replace the fuse, if I take it out then put the same one back in again it is OK. Any ideas why this is?

Sponsored Links
I take it it is a "modern pc" it sounds like your power supply is at fault.

Modern power supplies for compters have a "soft start" where by the button you press is not actually turning on the mains, but it does tell it that it should turn on the mains

for a second opinion why not try a search for computer based forums

Thanks, I'll try a comp forum too, I just wasn't sure if it was an issue with my computer or with the electrics. It's a bit strange that when it happens the problem can be resolved by removing the fuse then putting it back in again. It's a 400 watt power supply BTW and the computer is fairly new (I built it myself less than a year ago)

mmcmahon said:
Thanks, I'll try a comp forum too, I just wasn't sure if it was an issue with my computer or with the electrics. It's a bit strange that when it happens the problem can be resolved by removing the fuse then putting it back in again. It's a 400 watt power supply BTW and the computer is fairly new (I built it myself less than a year ago)

i have had the same problem with my computer, and my last one. i was told by the guy at the shop that there is a auto resetting trip in the power supply box and sometimes if it dosent reset you can remove the powercord, press the power button and then plug the lead back it it helps it to reset

Sponsored Links
There are 4 different places that the problem could be.
I nead some more info no exactly what hapens and in what order.

I.E.
Does the fan come on even for a second
Any lights
what exactly do to get it going again.

As breezer said moden PC do not switch the mains voltage with the button on the front.

The reason that your computer will re-start after you have removed and replaced the fuse is related to what supersparks said about removing and then re-inserting the lead. By removing the fuse you are cutting off power to the computer's PSU and therefore forcing it's resetting trip into action. However, supersparks unless you have a seperate problem I would guess that the guy who gave you advice was fobbing you off with the easy soloution.

From my experience you are probably both having PSU - Motherboard compatability issues. Most modern motherboards will drain huge amounts of power from the PSU at computer start-up in order to initialise the powerful processor and large fan which cools it. Once a PSU which is below 450 watts in power has undergone slight wear and tear, the large power drainage at start-up will begin to short it. I would suggest that for a long term soloution you both upgrade your PSU's to that of 450 watts at least and if finance will permit it then splash out with a 550 watt PSU as this will avoid any future problems in this area.

Hope this will hope if either of you still needs it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back